We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spring Break in DC

sacramento
3 posts
Save Topic
Spring Break in DC

I am planning a trip to D.C. over spring break. Is it overly crowded during this time? Is it better to stay a little out of town for lower hotel rates with a car or stay in town without a car?

Maryland
Level Contributor
380 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spring Break in DC

Yes, it's very crowded. I hate crowds, so would recommend that you visit some other time, but if that's the only time you can visit, come anyway--you'll no doubt have a great time. Just be prepared to stand in line to get into the more popular museums, and to be part of a mob scene once you get in.

My recommendation would be to stay in the city, but if you can't find a hotel in your price range try to find one in the suburbs that is on a Metrorail stop. Options include the Crystal City, Rosslyn, or Pentagon City stops (in Arlington, VA) or the Bethesda stop in Maryland. You will not need a car if you find a hotel within walking distance of Metrorail. In fact, DC traffic is notoriously bad, so you may not want a car.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,471 posts
232 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spring Break in DC

When is your spring break? While the spring is generally a busy time in DC, the public schools in and around DC tend to have their spring breaks right around Easter. This time tends to be very busy, but is normally a good time weather wise to visit.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,216 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spring Break in DC

If your spring break coincides with the Cherry Blossom festival (March 29-April 13, 2008), then it will be extremely crowded. Other times, it's very crowded, but CB season is the most crowded. I agree with Bink - try to stay in town, but then look in the suburbs with metro access. My advice is usually to book a hotel early with a good cancellation policy, then keep looking periodically to see if you find a better rate. If you're coming during CB festival, check www.nationalcherryblossomfestival.org to see which hotels are offering deals. Good luck!

sacramento
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Spring Break in DC

Thanks for the advise. We are planning on being there March 15 for 7 days. We can leave on the 13th of 14th. Also, is it better to fly into Baltimore or DC?

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
54,073 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spring Break in DC

"Also, is it better to fly into Baltimore or DC?"

The Baltimore airport (BWI) is about 30 miles outside of Washington, unless you're saving a huge amount of money it's much more convenient to fly into Washington Reagan National Airport (DCA), which is right across the river from Washington and much easier to get to/from.

There is also Dulles Airport in Virginia (IAD) also about 30+ miles from the city, and like BWI can be a hassle to get to/from unless saving a lot on airfare makes it worthwhile.

sacramento
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Spring Break in DC

Is it cold in March? I saw a report that the average high was 55. I may want to wait until June to plan my trip.

Maryland
Level Contributor
3,005 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Spring Break in DC

It can be cold in March. And we can have snow in March. The later in March the better. I wouldn't say it's frigid but there is always the possibility. 55 is not cold to me.

8. Re: Spring Break in DC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2009, 18:16