We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best/cheapest place to park near white house?

los angeles
Level Contributor
135 posts
1 review
Save Topic
best/cheapest place to park near white house?

hi,

we have a white house tour at 11:30 on a thursday. since our hotel is far away (rockville) we want to bring a lot with us for the day in the city. since there's no lockers, we wanted to bring our car in to the city just for this one day (other days we'll take the metro).

we need a good suggestions for cheapest parking garage? what time should we get there by to get a space? if we get into dc early, is there anything to do before the white house tour at 11:30 that might be close by?

thanks,

gayle

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,144 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best/cheapest place to park near white house?

For info on parking garages near the White House:

http://www.pmi-parking.net/garagelist.cfm

This page gives you addresses of the nearest garages, hours of operation and cost.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,463 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best/cheapest place to park near white house?

socagal,

DC is not LA. You really need to figure out how to get around without a car. Read a book, get therapy, whatever it takes.

I have been amused by posts on the Tripadvisor site for LA from people who want to know how to tour LA without a car. Touring LA without a car is about as practical as touring DC with a car.

I was also amused a few years ago by a coworker of mine from LA who I met in DC for a week of business. He rented a car from National airport drove it to the hotel in DC, paid for parking all week and drove the car back to the airport without ever taking it out of the hotel garage.

los angeles
Level Contributor
135 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: best/cheapest place to park near white house?

i know it's not a good idea to drive in to the city-i like your comparison to la. however, it's cheaper for us to rent a car for the week and park it for free at our hotel (in rockville) than it is to take a taxi or other means of transportation from the airport to our hotel. we figure we won't be using the car much; but we might do a late night drive into the city on a weeknight to see the monuments lit up and/or a trip to gettysburg, go to the grocery store (we'll have a kitchen in our room), etc.

like i mentioned in my earlier post, the only reason we would drive in during the day to dc would be to park our car close and use it as our "day locker" while we tour the white house, since apparently you can't bring anything in with you and we are too far from our hotel.

any other suggestions? bring 'em on . . .

thanks!

gayle

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
732 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best/cheapest place to park near white house?

I responded to one of your other posts about what to do after your white house tour. I didn't realize you would be driving, so I wanted to warn you that getting out of DC during rush hour can be extremely painful. We have massive gridlock, but unlike LA, we don't have any alternative routes or freeways around traffic backups. During rush hour, it can take half an hour to go four blocks. Your best bet is to plan to leave downtown by 3PM so you can experience sanity and prolong your life. Also DC is very confusing to drive in, even for local people. There are random traffic circles, missing signs, signs pointed in the wrong direction, aggressive drivers, random security checks and general chaos. Of course you could get lucky and have no trouble. Be prepared, some parking garages do fill up, so make sure you have a list of parking garages with you. When you arrive, make sure to buy an ADC street map of Washington DC. I don't go anywhere without one and there is a downtown section that shows where the parking garages are. You can pick one up in bookstores, gas stations, convenience stores and grocery stores. Make sure the brand is ADC since they are the most reliable map company.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,469 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best/cheapest place to park near white house?

Another word or warning about many garages in DC. Most (if not all) are valet, and do not give you access to your car during the time it is garaged there. The only exception to this that I can easily think of is the garage at the National Press Club building (enterance from 13th Street between E and F going South towards the mall). Parking there is about $24/day (no in and out priviledges) but does all you to access your car during the day (as you park it yourself).

I hope this helps,

dctravel

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
5,456 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best/cheapest place to park near white house?

I work near the White House and most of the garages are around $15 per day. And mostly valet as stated above. Plan to get into a garage by at least 9am. Leave plenty of time for traffic jams or consider switching to a hotel downtown.

The best idea of course is just to take the Metro. Not sure what you mean by "bringing alot" but it would be wise to travel lightly, especially if visiting the White House. (Security issues.)

Beforehand, you could visit the Renwick Gallery which is across the street from the White House. Or just hang-out in Lafayette Park. Good luck!

USA
Level Contributor
718 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best/cheapest place to park near white house?

SoCalGirl:

If you are driving into DC on the weekend, parking meters are free. I believe this is true also in the evenings (after rush hour). Otherwise you might want to park in a nearby Metro station and ride in. It can save you money, time and sanity.

Arlington, VA
Level Contributor
1,407 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: best/cheapest place to park near white house?

I know there is public self parking at the Reagan Building on 14th Street between Constitution and Penn Ave. I know you can get back into your car as it is self park. If you do park there take the extra minute or three to clearly note where you are parked. This is a HUGE underground garage above a huge and oddly shaped building makes for occassionally confusing parking if you do not pay attn. As you leave your parking area by the elevators there are "cards" that note your location. Suggest you pick one up and that way if you come in a different way any security guard can direct you. I live here, and park there often as it is convenient, I just have a pay attn to where I park. I hope that part does not scare you off.

For more info on location and parking at the Reagan Bldg

http://www.itcdc.com/about.php?p=2

No matter where you park -- be sure you know what the garages hours are. It would really impact your day and evening if your car gets locked in a garage over night. I've had it happen to me.

While I do understand you wanting to use your car as "lockers" for the day, downtown DC is really easy to get around using Metro. Suggest some days you metro and some your drive depending on your daily schedule.

los angeles
Level Contributor
135 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: best/cheapest place to park near white house?

thanks! we will only be driving into dc possibly on the day we tour the white house. however, we're also thinking of just driving to a metro station closer to downtown than rockville (where we're staying) like bethesda for example, parking at the metro, and riding the metro in from there. that way there's only about a 15 min trip back to the metro parking vs. rockville metro at about 30 min.

thanks,

gayle

Arlington, VA
Level Contributor
1,407 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: best/cheapest place to park near white house?

socal --

While Bethesda is a 15 min Metro ride from downtown (I did Farragut West), during the day, the trains only come every 9 - 12 mins. Combine that with the trip back, that could be very time consuming. And if you are Metro'ing, be sure you calculate the cost of everyone taking Metro and the return costs and parking at the Metro station. You might save a lot of time and equal out the money if you park downtown. Also, there is no "Metro" parking in Bethesda. You would have to use a commercial pay lot.

Enjoy your Whitehouse tour -- they are harder and harder to come by.

Check out www.wmata.com for more Metro details.