We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best n safe road stop

texas
1 post
Save Topic
best n safe road stop

We want to drive frm niagara falls to washington dc in first week of July '05, as the drive is of 8 hrs ,want to take stopover at night in between .we would like drive half way n stop ,drive hte remaining half next morning to wahington dc .

would like to knw the best n safe place for a night stay in between ,four of us are travelling .

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,471 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best n safe road stop

In my opinion, the safest and best places to stop are normally roadside motels. I used to drive from Washington to Florida and back and would either pick up green coupon books found at most rest stops or just decide when I was tired and find the nearest Days Inn/Hampton Inn/Comfort Inn (etc...) that looked clean. This will eliminate the need to sleep in the car overnight in what might not be a safe rest stop.

Hope this helps.

dctravel

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,150 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best n safe road stop

We've driven cross country several times and one thing we learned about roadside hotels---make reservations or arrive very early (around 4 p.m.). During the summer, lots of people are traveling so these hotels fill up fast. Many times we were glad we reserved in advance--especially when we arrived at the hotel to see a handwritten sign "no vacancy". It made life much easier. Try to pick a place that's about 4 hours away from Niagara Falls to stay the night, probably around the Albany area.