We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help needed on directions and itinerary

York, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
116 posts
200 reviews
Save Topic
Help needed on directions and itinerary

I will be staying at the Crystal Gateway Marriott and have some of my site seeing worked out but would like suggestions on other items and directions. I do not plan to drive my car in Washington

Day 1, Thursday, arrival by car and visit Mt Vernon and check in at hotel,

Day 2, Friday, Capital Tour at 9am

White House Tour at 11am

Native American Museum, have tix for 2pm

What subway to get to Captial and what subway to get back to hotel from Native American Museum

Day 3, Sat Open, would like to see ww 2 memorial, National Catherdral, Arlington Cemetary at minimum, is the Trolley or Tourmobile the best and how would I get to the ticket booth from Crystal Gateway Marriott on the subway.

Day 4, Sunday

Tickets to Holocaust Museum at 11am

Other suggestions in the area

What subway to take from hotel

I would like to take a tour of the monuments after dark, which is best tour, what subway to take to get the start of tour and is the subway safe that late at night?

Thank you

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
80 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help needed on directions and itinerary

On Friday, you can take the Blue Line in the direction of Largo Town Center to the Capitol at Capitol South Station. To get to the White House, use McPherson Square station (Vermont Ave. exit and follow the signs) and the Musuem of the American Indian is close to Federal Center SW. To get from the musuem back to Crystal City, you can simply walk to L'Enfant Plaza and take the Yellow Line in the direction of Huntington back to Crystal City.

On Saturday, take the Blue Line in the direction or Largo Town Center to Arlington Cemetery. You can catch the Tourmobile around the grounds at the vistor center. The WWII memorial is a little bit of a hike from Smithsonian station to 17th and Independence Ave. The National Catherdal is not close to a Metro station, but I am sure you can catch a bus or taxi. The Holocaust Musuem is near the Smithsonian Station on the Blue Line (use the Independence Ave. exit.)

Have you thought about visiting the National Zoo? Also, keep in mind that each Smithsonian Musuem is closer to Metro stations than others. The Air and Space is near L'Enfant Plaza, but the American History is near Smithsonian or Federal Triangle.

For more metro information, visit www.wmata.com or www.metroopensdoors.com for the "Flash" opening.

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,144 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help needed on directions and itinerary

The nice thing about the Crystal Gateway Marriott is that it has a direct entrance to the Crystal Underground and the Crystal City Metro station so you won't have to go outside to get to Metro. If you want to do some shopping, you are one stop away from Pentagon City where there is a mall. Again, you won't have to go outside to access the mall--there is a direct entrance from the Metro station. This could be something to do in case of rain.

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,144 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help needed on directions and itinerary

For the "Monuments by Moonlight" tour, check out:

http://www.historictours.com/washington/. Yes, Metro is safe at night.

York, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
116 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help needed on directions and itinerary

Thanks for your suggestions, only a few more days till I get there

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,144 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help needed on directions and itinerary

Enjoy your stay!

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
239 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help needed on directions and itinerary

The National Cathedral stop is on the Trolley tour. We took this tour with my in-laws when they were visiting from Atlanta and we all loved it. You can get off at any stop and explore and when you want to continue, just hop on the next trolley (they come by every 15 minutes).

The trolley tours start at Union Station which you can access via Metro (the Red Line) which is right inside the station. Union Station itself is a very impressive building. It is a train station, metro stop, trolley and tourmobile starting point, a mall, it has several fantastic restaurants, movie theaters and exhibit halls. It has also been host to several inagural balls and a host of other capital hill events.

Good luck!