We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant suggestions

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
248 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant suggestions

Will be staying at the JW Marriott on Pennsylvania Ave. from Feb. 9-Feb. 12. Would like to have some restaurant suggestions. We will have a car. Looking for nice atmosphere, smaller restaurants and possibly music during the meal. We also like dining at a nice bar, so if the restaurant has a nice bar we would like that too. We like seafood, Italian, French and American. We also would like to make reservations.

I understand there are several lovely restaurants in nearby hotels, any suggestions there would be great also.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19,862 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant suggestions

A few blocks from your hotel, at 1331 H Street NW is the Cafe Mozart with Austrian/German food and music. Check the music here: cafemozartgermandeli.com/zgrid/…events.jsp

Level Contributor
503 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant suggestions

701 (at 701 Pennsylvania Ave.) also has live music many nights, great American cuisine and atmosphere and a fantastic bar.

Herradura, Costa...
Level Contributor
318 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant suggestions

Ate at this place called Nage in Dupont while in DC recently. Amazing service, great atmosphere, upscale (but not snobby) and awesome food.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
76 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant suggestions

It is not fun to be driving away from your hotel at dinner-hour, as downtown DC will be a commuter-driven traffic mess. Fortunately you're near a lot of good places, either a walk or cab-ride away.

My recommendations tend towards the romantic, with good wine lists, very tasty food, and pretty personalized service. Also, save for the Adams Morgan restaurants I listed, they're all definitely on the high end pricewise.

I would not recommend Cafe Mozart for the dinner-for-two you describe (though I do like it in general, just more as a lunch place, the "atmosphere" leans towards biergarten in my opinion).

One of Washington's best and highest-end restaurants is Le Paradou at 7th & Indiana, about six blocks from your hotel. The food is astounding and the service is almost intrusively good. http://www.leparadou.net/

Rasika's, an elegant Indian restaurant near 7th and D Streets, is just around the corner from Le Paradou. It has a sleek bar, great service, great food, and a good vibe. It's not "small," though, and it's very popular for dinner.

The tiny Minibar at Cafe Atlantico restaurant owned by the current about-to-be-big-internationally chef Jose Andres is supposed to be quite an experience -- I haven't been, but I'm not a big Andres fan, I think he's fine but the deafening hype seems overblown.

If I wanted a small, local restaurant with a good vibe and a sort of romantic feel, I would suggest catching a cab up to the Adams Morgan neighborhood and go to the Little Fountain Cafe (French) or La Cantera (Peruvian), all within two blocks of each other on 18th Street. I really like the bar at Bourbon, also on that little strip, so maybe start there and work your way towards Little Fountain Cafe. Adams Morgan is full of bars and clubs, most on the small-ish, local-ish side, and also full of cabs, so it's easy to spend as much time as you like there and then get back to your hotel afterwards.

Oh! And I almost forgot -- Nora's! A great special-event place to eat near Dupont Circle, with a smart little bar and an all-organic menu. My beau and I sometimes go just to the bar for dessert, it's a good hang-out with, usually, a very well-informed bartender. Obelisk is another great investment-dining little restaurant near Dupont Circle that I highly recommend; no bar, though.

Have a great visit!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
90 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant suggestions

I recommend Montmartre French Bistro:

327 Seventh St. SE,

Washington, DC 20003

202-544-1244

It is so delicious. The dress is causal. It is a small place, with an open kitchen where you can see the chef, Arnaud, making their fabulous dishes. Try the duck or rabbit. Reservations are highly recommended. Great service. I'm a regular, I eat there at least every 2 weeks, some times once a week. The food is consistently wonderful, and good service. Prices are reasonable.

It is across the street from the Eastern Market Metro station.

6. Re: Restaurant suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2009, 23:16