We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to WDC, where to stay

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Malaysia
Level Contributor
221 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
First time to WDC, where to stay

A family of 4 Kiwi's with one month in the USA, we will be in WDC for 3 days mid July. We don't like staying at big flashy hotels and our budget is under $200 a night. We don't have a car so have to rely on public transport. We love to eat out and want to do things like the Smithsonion and like the look of the DC by foot tour.

Any suggestions on where to stay and other "Not to be missed attractions" would be most appreciated.

Cheers

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
577 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time to WDC, where to stay

We are visiting WDC for the first time in April We have booked the Hampton Inn Convention Centre($179+TAX). It has a pool and free breakfast and appears to be a good location for many tourist spots. It is also very close to a metro stop. Cheers!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
137 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time to WDC, where to stay

If you like places with character that are in good, real walkable neighborhoods, I would suggest the Adams Inn - it's a funky B and B in the great Adams Morgan neighborhood, about 5-10 minute walk to metro, really close to the zoo (which is great with kids) and all kinds of restaurants, etc.

http://www.adamsinn.com/

It will probably be hot in July so if you do the monuments, you might want to do the monuments by moonlight tour - it will be cooler and also everything is (IMHO) at its most beautiful all lit up at night. trustedtours.com/store/Monuments-by-Moonligh…

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,194 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time to WDC, where to stay

Are you okay with just 2 beds in the room or do you need a pull out couch? If 2 beds is okay, I'd look at a place like the Topaz Hotel (www.kimptonhotels.com). It's a great location near Dupont Circle and about 3 blocks to metro. It's next door to the Tabard Inn (which I'd also recommend, but their larger rooms are quite close to the high end of your budget). But, I'd definitely recommend the Tabard Inn at least for brunch if you're here over a weekend. Delicious and quaint. Do you have kids? If so, knowing their ages might help with the attraction suggestions...

4. Re: First time to WDC, where to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2009, 19:17