We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A quick trip report

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
3,822 posts
Save Topic
A quick trip report

I am now in a very wet Baltimore so taking a few minutes to dry off and do my March Madness brackets.

I arrived in Washington Friday night and stayed at the Jury's hotel on Dupont Circle. It took about an hour to get from the plane to our taxi. Had a few pints at Biddy Mulligan's Irish pub which is attached to Jurys.

Woke up on Saturday to lovely warm sunshine and felt overdressed with my raincoat on. We walked down to the White House and then onto the Mall to see Lincoln Memorial, Vietnam war memorial, Korean War memorial, the WWII memorial, the Washington Monument and then onto the Capitol Building.

After all this walking, went to the Dubliner pub for a meal and a pint og Guinness in a plastic cup - sacriliege but undertsandable as there were already a few St Patrick Day's revellers out and about and there was still 2 days to go.

Rounded off the day watching the Wizards beat the LA Clippers in overtime. It was 100 - 100 at the end of the 4 periods with the WIzards drawing the game right at the end.

On Sunday we ventured into Georgetown and explored this area. We had heard about the Exorcist steps so went in search of them and found ourselves at the bottom of them. A couple of breathless minutes later I was at the top. We wandered up to the Georgetown University and generally just explored the redidential streets. We had a couple of pints in a tavern there whose name escapes me. Mickey something or other.

Afterwards we decided to head to the Sign of the Whale on M street where we had something to eat and another 3 pints. It was turning into that type of lazy Sunday. After this, we made our final stop of the day at Brickskellers where we samples 3 different beers from 3 different states.

Monday was another day of walking. We headed down Massachuchets Avenue, over to Chinatown and then down to Pennsylvania avenaue where we got to sample a Presidential motorcade. Well, we assumed that it GWB being driven to the Capitol building and not Mrs GWB just popping out for some groceries.

We went into the Old Post Office building and went to the top of the tower. You do get some great views from up here but it is difficult to take photos with wires and dirty windows. I did manage to get some photos.

It was then over to the Library of Congress where we had a look at the small Bob Hope exhibit and then to the Great Hall. This is simply stunning and well worth going to have a look at. Unfortunately we hadn't timed it well for a tour.

Then it was on to the Tabard Inn, another long walk, when we met a friend for some drinks. After this, it was back to the Sign of the Whale as I don't think I could have faced being in an Irish pub on St Patricks's Day. Stayed here for the rest of the evening as left just after midnight.

Not too much time to do much on Monday except to get over to Union Station to catch the train to Baltimore. We leave here tomorrow for New York for the last 4 nights of our trip.

I had a great time in DC and enjoyed seeing the city for the first time. The one thing to surprise me was how warm it was and I would never believed I would have got sunburn in Washington in March!!

I'll post a link to the photos once I'm back in Blighty.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,559 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A quick trip report

Sounds like a lot of fun...and a lot of walking! Did you use Metro at all?

"I don't think I could have faced being in an Irish pub on St Patricks's Day. "

LOL - Despite my screen name you won't catch me near one either. "Amateur Day" as it's known in my family. :)

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,207 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A quick trip report

Hi Mick:

Nice report. Out of curiosity, how long did it take you to walk from Jurys to Chinatown? Enjoy the rest of your trip!

3. Re: A quick trip report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2009, 16:17