We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Washington DC trip..next week...need some advice please

Houston
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Washington DC trip..next week...need some advice please

Going to Washington...next wed thru saturday..with my wife and 2 boys...7 & 11.. Have a reservation at the Holiday Inn Capitol...1 block from the Air and Space and 1.5 blocks from the metro. Is there a better option??..room rate is $139.00...want to stay in that range. Also...got tickets for a night trolley tour..and the Spy museum....Probably check out the National Zoo one day.....Any other thoughts..would appreciate any input...thanks

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,483 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Washington DC trip..next week...need some advice please

As many others will probably tell you, the Holiday Inn Capitol gets very good reviews on this site but is in a primarily government business area. While a good area, it is pretty deserted at night and most of the adjacent/nearby restaurants are only open for breakfast and lunch during the week. The price you got seems very reasonable to me in DC in July

As for other options, both Wyndhams in DC (Wyndham Washington at Thomas Circle and the Wyndham City Center in the West End) are listed as a little cheaper on Expedia, and the Wyndham City Center is in a great restaurant area about 3 or 4 blocks from the Foggy Bottom Metro (Orange and Blue Lines).

Mentioned in this post
Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
11,369 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Washington DC trip..next week...need some advice please

If you have read some of the posts on this site you probably realize that the Holiday Inn is in an area of government office buildings and not a lot of restaurant options in the evening.

If you could find a hotel in the Foggy Bottom area, or somewhere on the north side of the Mall you might be a little better off. However, the metro is very convenient to the Holiday Inn and you can get to good evening options in just a few metro stops.

As you noted the Holiday Inn is very close to some of the museums, so that is an advantage. It sounds like you got a pretty good rate, so you will be okay if you can't find another option in the same price range. The Holiday Inn also has a little snack bar for a light breakfast before you hit the sites.

Clearwater
Level Contributor
2,718 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Washington DC trip..next week...need some advice please

I was just in DC for a week. In my opinion there are much better ways to spend your time than the zoo. It is ok but we have been to Atlanta, Jacksonville and Columbia,SC zoos and all are better than DC's in my opinion. Just a thought, because you will not have enough time to see anywhere near everything just in the National Mall area.

Mentioned in this post
Atlanta
Atlanta
Georgia
Columbia
Columbia
South Carolina
National Mall
National Mall
6,805 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Arlington, VA
Level Contributor
1,407 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Washington DC trip..next week...need some advice please

Blass --

I highly recommend the Old Post Office Pavillion and going up in the Bell Tower.

http://www.oldpostofficedc.com/index.html

My nephews -- around the same age -- LOVE the food court, shopping, and view from atop the Bell Tower. As a local, the Old Post Office Pavillion is the ONE place I will go over and over and over again. IMHO, the view is better than the Washington Monument. It is free and the lines are scarce or very short.

Old Post Office Pavillion is just one block from the Mall and is a good place to get something to eat, sit down, and relax a bit. After you are rested you MUST go all the way to the Bell Tower (elevators the whole way)

Bell Tower link (for some reason the Post Office Pavillion site does not have any info on the Bell Tower)

http://www.nps.gov/opot/index.htm

Mentioned in this post
Washington Monument
Washington Monument
8,163 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Houston
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Washington DC trip..next week...need some advice please

WOW...thanks for the response...this helps immensely....please..don't stop...every little bit helps

Clearwater
Level Contributor
2,718 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Washington DC trip..next week...need some advice please

Blass didn't notice you were from Houston...another great zoo!

The National Gallery of art has some once in a lifetime pieces. They even have a quickie guide for a one hour tour of the highlights this is worth doing. All the masters are there, including the only Leonardo De Vinci painting in the US.

I second the bell tower at the old Post office, great view.

Mentioned in this post
Houston
Houston
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
National Gallery of Art
National Gallery of Art
8,235 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Houston
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Washington DC trip..next week...need some advice please

BRIAN...can you get that tour at the gallery..or do you book it somewhere else??

Clearwater
Level Contributor
2,718 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Washington DC trip..next week...need some advice please

Sorry for the poor explanation.

It is just a piece of paper you pick up at the info desk at the entrance. It leads you through the gallery in a circuit for the highlights and obviously you can see lots of other things as you go along if you wish.