We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

washington hotels

london
Level Contributor
371 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
washington hotels

which is the best areas to stay near a metro we are driving from philli and don't want to drive into the centre of washington safe area 2 kids do not want to experience homeless drugs etc

DC
Level Contributor
794 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: washington hotels

Since you will be coming from the North, some of DC's northern suburbs might be best. Something like Rockville, Bethesda, Chevy Chase (These are all in Montgomery County, Maryland) or perhaps even the extreme NW section of DC itself.

Do your self a favor though, do not stay in any hotels in Prince George's County. These would be places near the Greenbelt, College Park, PG Plaza, New Carrolton, Largo stops.

Be sure to ask the hotel clerk if the hotel is in Prince George's County, and if it is, hang up and call someplace else.

Granted, there may be one or two good, safe hotels in decent areas, but since you don't know the area, don't take the chance - expecially with two little kiddies.

If you don't mind an extra half hour drive I really think you might enjoy staying in Northern Virginia, directly across the Potomac River from Downtown DC. The cities of Pentagon City, Crystal City, Arlington, Alexandria, and Rosslyn have some wonderful hotels, some almost directly above metro stops.

If you read through some of the hotel reviews you'll find many of them get glowing reviews.

Cheers,

Dev

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,146 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: washington hotels

Since you're coming in from Philly, consider staying in Bethesda, MD. There are hotels that are near Metro stations, such as the Holiday Inn Select Bethesda. It has parking, although there is a fee. (301) 652-2000. Another option, Four Points by Sheraton Bethesda, on site parking for a fee. (301) 654-1000.

As for experiencing homeless and drugs, it's highly unlikely that you will see any drug use unless you deliberately go to some of the really bad neighborhoods. Since the attractions aren't in these neighborhoods, then you are not likely to see that. However, it's often hard to avoid seeing homeless people, although, again in the touristy areas, it's not as likely.

When our daughter was 4 years old, we took her to Philadelphia where she saw her first homeless people. Although, our hotel was in a good area, there were still some homeless people around. She had lots of questions about it and we answered them. By contrast, she had a friend who never saw a homeless person until she went to NYC as a young teen. This friend found the experience to be traumatic. I guess what I'm trying to say is if your kids did happen to see homeless people, it's highly unlikely that they would bother you or your family. Sad to say, it is a part of city living.

london
Level Contributor
371 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: washington hotels

thanks for the replys the thing with home less people is because i read a review rom someone saying one of the marriott' has adrug store nearb by where people hang out all the time my kids are used to homeless people living in London and my job is actually in a similar field I just don't want a vacation near ahostel drug store.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,469 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: washington hotels

As a follow up to Sue's excellent post, the Four Points by Sheraton in Bethesda is now a Clarion Hotel. Noticed that when I drove by it last week.

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,146 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: washington hotels

Thanks for the update, dctravel. That's good to know!