We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Memorial Weekend

Caerphilly, United...
Level Contributor
1,552 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Memorial Weekend

We'll be arriving in DC at around 2.00pm on the Saturday of Memorial Weekend and staying 3 nights catching the Amtrak up to NY some time on the Tuesday.

As I've visited the city in the past I know how much walking you can do between the monuments and we're thinking about hiring bikes for one of the days to make getting around them a bit faster. However, I'm aware that Rolling Thunder (something we're really looking forward to seeing) will be in the Mall area over this weekend and was wondering what advice you can give me on the best day to do some cycling or whether it will be practical at all this weekend?

Maryland
Level Contributor
3,005 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Memorial Weekend

Well the Rolling Thunder event will be on Sunday May 25th. So that Monday would be best because it's a holiday and there won't be many people(workers) downtown.

You are coming in too late on Saturday to start cycling, there will be too many people walking around and it isn't very cycler friendly.

Caerphilly, United...
Level Contributor
1,552 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Memorial Weekend

Many thank Mrs M. From what I remember cycling would be quite an effective way of getting around the mall and monuments? Do people agree?

It was 14 years ago when I was in DC last and I can't really remember what the traffic situation is in this area.

Maryland
Level Contributor
3,005 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Memorial Weekend

I think if you can cycle you should be able to walk. It is quite a distance to walk the entire mall but you have some time here and you can split your time up. Like when you come in on Saturday, you can go to a museum then. It might not be as crowded because most people would have been gone already.

What exactly was it that you planned on doing once on the mall? Was it just viewing the monument, memorials and just looking around or was it going into the museums and taking your time. If that's the case, you can walk. Or were you doing it to see the entire DC area?

Caerphilly, United...
Level Contributor
1,552 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Memorial Weekend

I was just planning to do the monuments on bikes in maybe half a day and then allocating a whole day in our itinerary to the museums (planning on two, the Air and Space and one other to be decided).

My tentative plan (staying in Dupont Circle)

Saturday late afternoon early evening - Georgetown

Sunday - Walk up the Mall to see Rolling Thunder - maybe have our museum day although I appreciate it will be very busy

Monday - AM - cycle the monuments PM Arlington (by the Metro)

Tuesday - no plans at the moment but will probably leave DC late afternoon for NY - if too busy on Sunday we will go to the Air and Space Museum in the morning

Maryland
Level Contributor
3,005 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Memorial Weekend

That sounds like a good plan. You aren't trying to do too much. And the biking for the monuments/memorials is a good idea as they are all not near each other. That would be quite a walk.

6. Re: Memorial Weekend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2009, 13:16