We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eating lunch in the District

Indianapolis, IN
Level Contributor
114 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Eating lunch in the District

I'm making my third trip to DC next week. I have a friend who lives in Arlington, so it's been fun getaway for me and now I know the city pretty well.

Problem for me is finding lunch that is a step up from fast food. I have eaten in the USDA building, in the basement of the Reagan building, at Belly-something just north of the White House, but I haven't found anyplace that is unique to DC. Can you reccommend a few places? Something nice but not expensive for lunch. I can't really tell you where all I'll be since I've already seen most of the area, but this time I'm doing the State Dept reception rooms tour and the Capitol tour (again - because I have yet to see the Senate). I'll definitely hit Georgetown one day.

Any suggestions? Oh, btw, we have Five Guys in Indy, so don't suggest that please.

Maryland
Level Contributor
3,001 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eating lunch in the District

Where exactly will you be located? We could list some places but we need to know if you prefer to travel there or if you will already be in a certain area and need a place close by.

Indianapolis, IN
Level Contributor
114 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eating lunch in the District

Mrs. Maryland, thank you for your reply. I thought I made clear that I really can't tell you where I'll be but I did mentioned three areas that I will be in. At the state dept., at the Capitol, and in Georgetown. Since I will be in those areas, travelling to a lunch destination will not be that hard.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
252 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eating lunch in the District

I'm no restaurant guy but the first thing that comes to mind is the Old Ebbitt Grill, near the White House - it's been around since 1856.

http://www.ebbitt.com/

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eating lunch in the District

I'm not 100% sure what you are looking for with something "unique to DC" but here are a couple of suggestions that aren't chains!

1. Mitsitam in the Smithsonian American Indian Museum. Yes, it is a museum cafeteria, but it has MUCH better and more interesting food than any other. I have gone there just to eat before.

2. Taqueria Nacionale (behind Johnny's Half Shell restaurant near Union Station). They are only open on weekdays for breakfast and lunch. There are only a few outside tables, but on a nice day, just walk across the street with your food and sit in the park near the Capitol building.

I've enjoyed lunches at both of these places. Hope this helps!

Maryland
Level Contributor
3,001 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eating lunch in the District

I see so you can travel I will break these places down by location and as "unique to DC" I would assume you mean not a chain of places in other areas outside of DC.:

Georgetown:

-Pizza Pardiso

-Old Glory BBQ

-Booeymongers/Sandwiches

-Chadwicks/burgers, and other American

-Nathans/American

Capitol Hill:

-Bistro Bis (I wouldn't say it's expensive it's more moderate)French/American

-Capitol City Brewing Company (a few locations in the area)

-Dubliner (Irish very reasonable)

Penn Quarter/Verizon Center/Chinatown

-Ellas Wood fired pizza

-La Tasca (Spanish Tapas)

-Matchbox (pizza and burgers, and pasta)

-Teaism

-Zola

These are the areas I frequent the most. Others will probably provide for Dupont Circle and other areas as well. Hope this helps

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
76 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eating lunch in the District

MrsMaryland makes good suggestions. Bistro Bis is too expensive, would be my only quibble. I also like the Bread Line on Pennsylvania Ave near Foggy Bottom.

If you'll be downtown on a weekday at lunchtime, it can be a zoo, between the tourists and the workaday stiffs. If you can wait until 2 pm for lunch on a weekday, you'll find much more breathing room.

DC suburbs
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Eating lunch in the District

A strong "GO" for Breadline and Teaism (downtown), the Mitsitam Cafe (in Museum of Am Indian), Pizzeria Paradiso (Georgetown).

Amma Vegetarian Kitchen in Georgetown is also very good and cheap. Clyde's is a Georgetown establishment. The food is generally pretty good (especially the salads) although the service can be spotty.

If you haven't been, have your friend take you to Jaleo (Crystal City) for tapas. It's wonderful!

Enjoy!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
5,456 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Eating lunch in the District

A step up from fast food yet quick, there's Cafe Phillips - one on 14th St., NW, next to McPherson Square metro stop and another branch right near the Warner Theatre.

www.menupix.com/dc/restaurants.php?id=501482

Another reliable lunch place we use for our office is Cafe Mozart's on H St., 'round the corner from Phillips.

http://www.cafemozartonline.com/zgrid/proc/site/sitep.jsp;jsessionid=aHL75XY9ENa9

A newer addition to downtown dining and near the shops at the National Press Building is Devon & Blakely. They also sell British chocolate bars. : )

www.devonandblakely.com/index.php?page=index

All these places are dine-in or carry-out.

9. Re: Eating lunch in the District

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2009, 01:18