We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amtrak ......

Caerphilly, United...
Level Contributor
1,551 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Amtrak ......

We're flying into DC on the 24th May then catching the Amtrak up to NY on the 27th before flying out of JFK on the 31st. I know the 27th is the Tuesday after Memorial weekend so would it be advisable to book our Amtrak seats in advance or will we be okay just to turn up on the day and buy a ticket? We're planning on catching a train around midday.

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,147 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amtrak ......

By all means book in advance. It's what Amtrak prefers plus it's cheaper than buying at the last minute. Also, since it is a busy weekend by buying in advance, you will be guaranteed a seat. If you wait until the last minute, you may find that the train you wanted to take is booked up. Check their website to see if they have any special promotions for the regional trains.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
2,634 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Amtrak ......

I agree - always buy the ticket in advance if you can. My husband did not do this last weekend (he was going from Philly to NYC for business last minute) and ended up standing for almost an hour before he got a seat.

Good luck!

Suzanne

Caerphilly, United...
Level Contributor
1,551 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amtrak ......

Many thanks -I will definitely take your advice and book in advance

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
585 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Amtrak ......

We have just done this trip and i booked in advance online and just picked up the tickets at the self serve kiosk. We got the 8.10 vermonter that got us into Penn station at 11.15am. It was a great trip. Cheers!

5. Re: Amtrak ......

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2009, 08:37