We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First trip with kids

Doylestown...
Level Contributor
703 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
First trip with kids

Hi - We would like to visit DC this summer with our two kids ages 10 and 7. I was in DC many many years ago but have no idea how to get around. Where would you recommend to stay without being too expensive. We would pay up to 170.00 per night. We plan on staying two nights arriving on a Friday and going home Sunday. Any suggestion on what to see? I know our son wants to see the memorials. Are they all together? Sorry for so many questions but we are not city people. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thank you!

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: First trip with kids

Here is information on the National Mall, where many of the memorials and the Smithsonian Museums are.

…nps.gov/applications/…map_final2.pdf

“This tree-lined area of parkland stretches two and a half miles from the Potomac River to the United States Capitol on Capitol Hill and is adjoined by the White House

http://www.washington-landmarks.com/mall.html

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
105 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First trip with kids

For kids I would suggest The Air and Space Musuem, the National Zoo, the Natural History Musuem, and the US Bontanic Gardens. Also the Smithsonian Postal Musuem is often overlooked, but is very nice and has iteravtice exhibits.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First trip with kids

With kids that age, I'm sure they will enjoy the Metro (www.wmata.com). Getting around DC via Metro is a breeze. If you're staying only two nights, it might be worth parking at your hotel instead of going through the (cheaper) hassle of parking at an outlying metro lot and taking the Metro in.

Be sure your hotel is near the Metro. With that in mind, many visitors find Woodley Park, Dupont Circle, downtown (Metro Center/Union Station), and Arlington to be good places to stay. If you choose Arlington, research carefully to be sure the hotel is close to a Metro--many hotels in Arlington are not.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
257 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First trip with kids

In addition to the usual sights, my daughter loved the Postal museum as a tween and the National Building Museum at that age - lots of hands-on activities. A Duck tour would also be fun.

With respect to hotels the Embassy Suites on 22nd Street is nice because you get two rooms for the price of one as long (as the kids don't mind sleeping on the fold-out sofa). They include breakfast in the rate, have a pool and video arcade. I think the location would be good for exploring too. (My sister stayed here with her two kids a few years back and really enjoyed this property.) Have fun

Doylestown...
Level Contributor
703 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First trip with kids

Thanks everyone - I will check out the Embassy Suites prices. Also, I know our son just went on a duck tour in Philadelphia for his 4th grade class trip. The kids all loved it. Would it be too crowded on a Friday and do you need advance tickets. I think our 7 year old would also like this. Thanks for all your suggestions.

pensacola
Level Contributor
711 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: First trip with kids

DC is fantastic vacation site! I stayed in the Alexandria area last June. Metro across street from Embassy Suites there. About a 15 min ride to mall area. Metro very user friendly and safe and clean. Get multi-day ticket. Alexandria very yuppie and upper class area. One of best kept secrets about DC area. It was orginally the site of the capitol until they built the current DC area back in ancient times. Mt Vernon only a short distance...so you know that Father George thought the area was great.

Two days is just not enough to do DC justice. You will only scratch the surface. Great time ahead.

Level Contributor
806 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: First trip with kids

For such a short stay with kids, I would recommend staying in the Penn Quarter area. We stayed at the Courtyard Convention Center recently (F and 9th Streets) and it was a 5 minute walk to the Mall and across the street from the Spy Museum and the Portrait Gallery. We got a good rate ($135 with AAA discount) and the area is full of restaurants, including reasonable family fare. There is also a small indoor pool at the hotel. We didn't have breakfast at the hotel but they offer a $10 buffet.

We took our then-8-year-old two years ago and his favorites were the memorials -- especially the Lincoln Memorial and the Vietnam War Memorial. We also did the Air and Space, the Spy Museum and the National Gallery (OK, I *forced* him to see that one...) We spent one afternoon at the National Zoo -- good but it didn't beat the San Diego Zoo which we'd recently visited.

La Plata, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,237 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First trip with kids

For information on the many different Smithsonian museums (All of them are free of charge) click here on http://www.si.org Try to stay more days if you can, as there is an awful lot to see in D.C.

Some special things to check out, include the free, outdoor military band concerts beside the Capital and Monuments, several evenings a week. The free performances each evening at the Millennium Stage in the Kennedy Center lobby. The outdoor Smithsonian Folklife Festival in July which showcases traditions of several different cultures and nations each year.

Georgia
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: First trip with kids

We just booked a trip to DC on travelzoo.com. We got a room at the Omni Shoreham Hotel for 109.00 a night and it is a very nice place. It's very close to the White House. We are also traveling with our two kids ages 9 and 10. Good Luck!!!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,074 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First trip with kids

The Omni Shoreham is a long ways from the White House. Several miles. But it is close to a Metro stop that will get you downtown in a few minutes.