We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Washington Attractions

SCOTLAND
Level Contributor
40 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Washington Attractions

Guys,

Can you help me. Am visiting DC for 4 days in July and was just thinking are there any of the main attractions that reservations are required? I know this will be a busy period so any assistance/tips would be appreciated.

Thanks

Steven

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Washington Attractions

There was a recent thread on this topic

Here it is

http://tinyurl.com/5dx4zg

Michigan
Level Contributor
125 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Washington Attractions

I'd book online now if you want tickets to the Washington Monument (to take elevator up to the top) they were booked out through June 24 last time I checked -- otherwise you have to go at 7:00 am the day you want to go and wait in line to get timed tickets. Online address is http://www.nps.gov/wamo/

Also, contact your state legislators about reserving Capitol and other tours.

SCOTLAND
Level Contributor
40 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Washington Attractions

Thanks for that advice on the Washington monument. I have a slight problem with some of the other attractions, for example the white house. It seems you have to contact your member of senate. This is somewhat difficult if you do not live in the US, like us.

Any advice anyone?

Steven

Caerphilly, United...
Level Contributor
1,552 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Washington Attractions

Non US citizens should contact their embassy but I think you have to arrange a party of 12 to apply to visit the White House.

Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Washington Attractions

Steven,

You can visit the White House visitor center at 14th and Pennsylvania Ave to get tickets for the white house tour. Id advise getting there at 8am to get the free tickets. That will be your best bet.

Cheers

Westside
Level Contributor
1,737 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Washington Attractions

But first do a search of the forum for White House - to get reviews of tours.

I think, from what I have read, that for a non-US citizen, the amount of time spent waiting around the tour of the White House is not worth it - especially if you only have 4 days. There are lots of lovely free museums and buildings that will more than certainly fill your time.

JMHO

We are there from 14th - 18th. Shall we be looking out for a man with an accent ?

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
55,553 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Washington Attractions

"You can visit the White House visitor center at 14th and Pennsylvania Ave to get tickets for the white house tour. Id advise getting there at 8am to get the free tickets. That will be your best bet."

I'm sorry, this is not correct. You cannot obtain tickets to tour the White House at the visitors center. Tours must be arranged in advance through a Senator or Congressional office, or via an embassy if you're not a US citizen. There are no "walk up" tours offered at all.

Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Washington Attractions

Thanks for catching that irish.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
588 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Washington Attractions

We had a tour of the whitehouse in April.We managed to get a group of ten through this forum.Start a new post with your dates and you might have some luck. In the meantime contact the british embassy in DC register your interest and if they get enough applicants they will contact you.You dont have to que as you are allocated a time and you dont have to stay with the group,we didnt even meet anyone from our group. Its a self guided tour so you can take as long as you wish,good luck.Cheers!

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
588 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Washington Attractions

The phone number for the british embassy is

(1)(202)588 6500. I dont know when in july you are going but you need to book this a month in advance Cheers!.