We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cherry Blossom Festival 2009 - a week in DC - too long?

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Twin Cities...
Level Contributor
155 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Cherry Blossom Festival 2009 - a week in DC - too long?

I will be going during Cherry Blossom Festival 2009. We have a week in DC. Is this too long? I've been to DC several times, but my BF hasn't.

What are the highlights of the Festival? We will be there March 31-April 7.

I'm afraid I will get bored, but I also want my BF to see everything he wants to see.

What types of things are a not miss, besides the usual momuments, tours, etc. etc. Any good day trips that aren't too far?

We'll be staying in Arlington.

thanks for your input!!!

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cherry Blossom Festival 2009 - a week in DC - too long?

I don't think a week is too long. You can go to Mount Vernon one day and Baltimore another day.

Here is a link to the events of last year. Probably similar stuff every year. The Kite Festival is really neat but it might be before you get here.

nationalcherryblossomfestival.org/cms/…

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
206 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cherry Blossom Festival 2009 - a week in DC - too long?

Even though it gets too crowded because it kicks off the tourist season (Wabbit season!) Cherry Blossom festival is the best time to see DC.

One thing that happens on the same day that CBF starts is the kite festival on the Mall. About a hundred kites of all types fly around the Washington Monument. Another once a year must see.

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
11,821 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cherry Blossom Festival 2009 - a week in DC - too long?

If you enjoy the outdoors, another good day trip would be going to Shenandoah National Park for hiking. You can take a picnic lunch or eat in the restaurant at Big Meadow or Skyland (if they are open for the season). I particularly enjoy going to Big Meadow for a nice lunch and relaxing in their Great Room after a morning hike. They both have huge picture windows which overlook the valley--great scenery!

Purcell, Missouri
Level Contributor
67 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cherry Blossom Festival 2009 - a week in DC - too long?

How would you suggest we get to Shenandoah National Park? Flying into Reagan and staying in condo in Arlington. No rental car, but I guess we could get one if needed. Other ideas?

Go Cats

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cherry Blossom Festival 2009 - a week in DC - too long?

msubobcats, you might want to start your own thread.

6. Re: Cherry Blossom Festival 2009 - a week in DC - too long?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2009, 15:17