We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tourmobile or Old Town Trolley

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Florida
Level Contributor
45 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Tourmobile or Old Town Trolley

We would like to take one of the trolley tours through the city. Does anyone know which is better? We would like to see the monuments but I notice Tourmobile goes to Arlington. Does Old Town Trolly? I have experience with Old Town because we have used them in ST. Augustine. But, they are more expensive. Any thoughts?

Thanks Melissa

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19,935 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tourmobile or Old Town Trolley

Tourmobile is just for The Mall and Arlington Cemetery. Old Town Trolley covers a whole lot more of the city. That is the major difference.

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
12,159 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tourmobile or Old Town Trolley

If you choose to do the Old Town Trolley tour, they have a shuttle that takes you over to Arlington Cemetery where you can get a separate ticket on Tourmobile to ride around Arlington Cemetary or you can walk around Arlington Cemetery on your own--but it is a hilly and a bit far between the various sites there. (Tourmobile is the only bus company that does tours through Arlington Cemetery.)

Also, you can get to Arlington Cemetery on your own by driving (ample fee parking) or by taking the Blue Line Metro to the Arlington Cemetery stop.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
100 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tourmobile or Old Town Trolley

We just got back from DC and we took the Up Top tour, by Grey Line. We were very pleased. They also have an Arlington stop. We took the Trolly Tour in Savannah and it was SO darn hot, I had read on this board that the Up Top tours are air conditioned below and also have seating up top. I think the Trolly might have more buses, but someone here mentioned that sometimes they were full.

These buses were very comfortable and brand new and the only problem we had was our first day when we didn't know the arrival time of the bus, since I bought the tickets online. Other people who showed up found out the time from their concierge or you could call them. Speaking of which, these buses were half the price of the Trolly. Two consecutive days for their one. And you get an online discount.

Northern Michigan
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Tourmobile or Old Town Trolley

My kids and I are in DC right now on vacation and we took the tourmobile tour of Arlington Cemetery yesterday afternoon (7.50) and it was very good. We stopped at Kennedy's gravesite, watched the changing of the guard, and Arlington House (it was being renovated). It was an extemely well run and informitive tour. Last night we stopped at Union Station and book the Monuments by Twilight tour with the Tourmobile at 6:30 for the 7:00 tour without any problems (30.00). I wanted to see the monuments at night and this tour was awesome, as well. Both of my kids (21 and 20) and myself just loved it. We stopped at the Jefferson Memorial and the FDR Memorial. After that, we went to the Vietnam Memorial (it was dusk at this time), Korean Memorial, and Lincoln Memorial. By the time we were done with those, it was dark and the Mall was an awesome sight. We then stopped at a roundabout and could see the flame from Kennedy's gravesite from a distance. The tour did not go all the way to the cememtery. The tour then made it's last stop at the World War II Memorial. On the way back to Union Station, the tour stopped at different Metro stations depending on the line you needed to take back to your hotel so you didn't have to make any transfers. It was a very professional and informative tour with many photo opportunities. I highly recommend it.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19,935 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tourmobile or Old Town Trolley

Leftwinger15, thanks for the really informative review. That is a great help for people trying to decide what to do.

Level Contributor
217 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tourmobile or Old Town Trolley

I totaly concur with leftwinger15. Do not miss the evening tourmobile tour. The korean war monument has to be seen at night, as well as the WWII monument at night.

Jersey, Channel...
Destination Expert
for Jersey, St Helier
Level Contributor
1,026 posts
663 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tourmobile or Old Town Trolley

We recently used the open top double decker buses which were first class (I think it is part of the grayline company). They stop at Arlington. If you buy a ticket after 3pm you get the next two days included so it is excellent value. You also get great views. We preferred this to the other tour buses as they looked as though they were more enclosed and therefore stuffy. There is a very wide ranging circuit including Georgetown and all of the must see sites.

Kalamazoo, MI
Level Contributor
3 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tourmobile or Old Town Trolley

My wife and I along with my 3 kids visited DC last week. We used the Tourmobile on Thursday the 19th at a cost of $120 and in general it was a very poor experience. The cemetery portion of tour was pretty good. Don’t plan on seeing much other than the tomb of the Unknowns, the Kennedy gravesite or Arlington House. The buses move quickly through the rest of the cemetery, while that might not be a big deal to everybody, it is worth noting. Our experience on the remainder of the tour was horrible, we were told at the beginning it was about a 2 hour round trip, it took over 4 hours (that’s travel time only). Even considering traffic, it took way too long to get from place to place. Since the service only runs until 4:30, if you make a couple of stops it will eat up the whole day. The commentary provided by some of the guides was marginal at best. If you just want to get from place to place on the mall, there is a newer bus route called the DC Circulator that costs $1 to ride. We lost a lot of time because of Tourmobile; I would not waste my money with them.

9. Re: Tourmobile or Old Town Trolley

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2009, 07:18