We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather and dress for D.C?

Escondido...
Level Contributor
377 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
Weather and dress for D.C?

I will be in D.C in mid July this year. I am from Ca. and was wondering what the weather will be like and what is the dress code for touring the sights. Are shorts okay? For dinner are the restaurants casual or more dressy? Thanks for any information.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,427 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather and dress for D.C?

There is no dress code for tourists. Shorts are OK for most, if not all, the usual tourists places. Most restaurants are summer casual. At the nicer places you will be out of place in shorts, but many of the popular places you will be fine. If you are in doubt, just give them a call. 1789 and The Prime Rib are the only place I know that enforce a jacket for men.

Sterling, Virginia
Level Contributor
280 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather and dress for D.C?

Weather in mid-July is typically low 90's and very humid.

NJ
Level Contributor
409 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather and dress for D.C?

Shorts are fine in tourist spots but I feel a little cool in AC'd places---I like to wear lightweight cotton pants. They look OK for going into places where they'd rather not see your legs, too. Less packing.

You can expect hot & muggy during day, often there is a thunderstorm in late afternoon, but it isn't the kind that cools things off. It's a good idea to visit the NOAA site or similar & get a forecast the day before you leave.

Escondido...
Level Contributor
377 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather and dress for D.C?

Thanks for all the replies to my post. It sounds like it will be warm and humid. I will look for some cool cotton pants as suggested. I am really looking forward to seeing D.C.

Thanks again- Parris

California
Level Contributor
194 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather and dress for D.C?

We're visiting from CA right now and the weather has been wonderful compared to the extremely hot and humid weather we've experienced in past visits. I packed very light clothing (shorts and short sleeves)in anticipation of the sticky weather (that we don't have back home) and I have found it actually feeling chilly at night. I also don't like the change in the temp from outside to inside where it's cool and dry. If you're like me, pack a light sweater if you're going to dress lightly. Don't forget an umbrella!

NJ
Level Contributor
409 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather and dress for D.C?

Yes, it has been unusually "cool" on the E coast this week, for this part of July---rainy the past 2 days, too--and more expected much of the rest of the week. However, it is well within the range of "normal," to have rainy days that don't go above 80-85, as well as hot humid ones around 99 --the question is, which of those days will you be here? : -- )

We are going to Williamsburg VA later today, & I am bringing both long lightweight pants & shorts, and also a light sweater for the AC places & cool nights near the ocean---the ocean always makes it cooler in the evening. And making my daughter bring her rain jacket, my umbrella is coming too.

Escondido...
Level Contributor
377 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather and dress for D.C?

Timmycat and tuffy,

Thanks for the head's up on a sweater. Last year I went to New Orleans in July and it was very hot and humid, the only problem was when I went inside to eat or shop I was cold. I think I will also bring a parshima to put over my shoulders during the day when I am inside museums and such. I hope you both have a great trip.

NJ
Level Contributor
409 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weather and dress for D.C?

You're very welcome!

Well we are back from Wmsbg & I am very glad I brought a light fleece jacket --- the condo was freezing! I know, I could have turned it warmer--but the others seemed OK, somehow it was just me--- also it turned out that long cotton pants were better, even on the warmest days we had. We went to 2 museums where the AC would have been too much for shorts, and I had the fleece on in one of them. We visited Wm & Mary College for my daughter's sake & I felt dressed more appropriately in the pants. The Mom thing. I only wore shorts 1 day & that was when we planned to rent canoes & the state park decided not to because of the threat of thunderstorms. Maybe this should be in the Wnsbg section!

These cotton pants I am talking about are cargoes, with patch pockets on front, the kind for camping. They are lightweight & when I use them in musems etc I can put my wallet etc in the pockets & not need a purse. And they still look nice enough to get into a restaurant, esp. if I dress up the top a little.

mandeville, la
Level Contributor
279 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Weather and dress for D.C?

You mentioned the weather in New Orleans. D.C. is just as hot if not hotter!!

10. Re: Weather and dress for D.C?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2009, 12:22