We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Churches to get married in DC/VA/MD area?

Creve Coeur...
Level Contributor
149 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Churches to get married in DC/VA/MD area?

We live out of state but most of family is in the DC/MD/VA area.....so wedding will be held there. Does anyone know of any churches that will let you get married there without being a member? (don't like any of the churches of family members)Something historic would be great!

Or can you suggest any other places to get married? The thing is we need it to be within 45mins of Regan airport. Date isn't until next spring but need to get hopping on venues.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
829 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Churches to get married in DC/VA/MD area?

I don't know about the necessity of being part of the congregation, but I would highly recommend Christ Church in Alexandria - it's an unbelievable, stunning, historic church. Episcopalian. I suspect you may have to have one of their clergy participate in the wedding ceremony, but could probably also invite your own minister to co-officiate, if you wanted to.

Let's see - spring wedding. There might be some areas in the National Arboretum that would be appropriate for a wedding, if you wanted to do it outside... or even the Botanical Gardens...

Hmmm... maybe have it on one of the boats that cruises the Potomac?

Mount Vernon? Don't know if they do weddings; my best friend had her rehearsal dinner there (wedding was at the aforementioned Christ Church).

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
101 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Churches to get married in DC/VA/MD area?

We were just in DC last month and toured the National Cathedral. It's actually Episcopalian but they completely emphasize that it's open to all. They have many of the government officals funnerals, etc. here. It is also not a parish church--that's right next door.

My parents actually got married there in 1942 in one of the chapels. (they have several of various sizes.)

It's a pretty awesome place-you must check it out. They have a nice website.

Creve Coeur...
Level Contributor
149 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Churches to get married in DC/VA/MD area?

National Cathedral is wayyyyy too huge. Called the boats that cruise the potomac and not liking them. I guess its hotels next, but still would like something small and historic.

thanks

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Churches to get married in DC/VA/MD area?

Don't write of the cathedral-there are MANY smaller chapels within the cathedral that can hold various amounts of people.

There is the Chapel of St. Joseph of Arimathea, and others

http://www.pbase.com/maryva2/image/91824857

Creve Coeur...
Level Contributor
149 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Churches to get married in DC/VA/MD area?

Wow! But who do I contact for wedding requests? All of the websites just have "tourist" information.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
101 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Churches to get married in DC/VA/MD area?

I'd start with the main number on the website or directory assistance and start asking. The chapels are very beautiful and are the size of a small historic church. Very cozy. r.

7. Re: Churches to get married in DC/VA/MD area?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2009, 09:29