We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 day trip- here is my plan for day 1 & 2

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
32 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
4 day trip- here is my plan for day 1 & 2

I am planning a 4 day stay - I have finally planned out day 1 and 2 -

Day 1- Lincoln Memorial -1 hr

- Vietnam Memorial- 30 mins

- Korean War Memorial- 30 mins

- WW2 Memorial- 45 mins

- Holocaust Memorial 3-4 hrs

Day 2 - Tourmobile Day

-Jefferson Memorial - 1 hr

- FDR Memorial 1 hr

Arlington cemetary- 2 hrs

White House area- 1 hr

Question- where should I put the Washington Momuemnt in these 2 days? and what else good in the area that I might be missing?? I am trying to plan in zones - so I am not spreading my self out to wide.

Thanks for all your help-

Maryland
Level Contributor
3,001 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 day trip- here is my plan for day 1 & 2

1.) I don't think the Lincoln Memorial will take you that long.

2.) Vietnam Memorial will probably take longer

3.) Good to go on the Koren War Memorial

4.) WW2 Memorial make it 30 minutes

5.) Good to go on the Holocaust. Might only take about 2.5 hours however. Depending on how much reading you do and how long you stay at each section.

Day 2:

All Good

Answer to your question:

Washington Monument would be good for day 2 as you won't need to spend 1 hour in the White House area as you stated.

And you didn't add any of the other museums.

You have a pretty busy schedule. You may not spend as much time at each place as you thought and you might spend longer at some. Some people like to spend hours in some places and just read and absorb the information and sites. Others (like myself) just like the pass through mostly unless I am looking for something in particular.

Did you take into consideration transporation. The Memorials are not that close to each other when you have to walk between them. Metro doesn't go on that side. Also with the Memorials on day 2 the transportation issue.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
206 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 day trip- here is my plan for day 1 & 2

Are you also counting travel time to/from attractions?

Check with WH/Wash. Mon./Holocaust on getting tickets.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
252 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 day trip- here is my plan for day 1 & 2

I like your 'zone' idea, and think your timeframes are pretty good across the board. You never know what will interest or bore you in advance so I wouldn't worry too much about keeping a schedule, if that's your goal (except for timed entry issues).

I think the Washington Monument could fit either day well - if you have the full day on Day 1 (not arriving that day) I have the feeling you know it's near the WWII Memorial and Holocaust, and you could fit it in there. Since the Washington Monument requires tickets, and they go quickly, I'd try to get them now (in advance) or queue early on either day and just fit it in.

I don't see the Bureau of Engraving and Printing on your list, and this is right next to the Holocaust museum. That said, it's only open on weekdays and if you're coming during high tourist season it's tough to get tickets - most people sound like they get in line early for the free tickets (8 AM?) - I personally would rather sleep!

While 4 days is quite a bit of time I would also consider putting a 'maybe' on some Smithsonian browsing on Day 1 or 2 if you have time left over - trying to do all the museums in 1 or even 2 days is overwhelming, and it's more fun to just do a little bit a day. Looking forward to day 3 and 4 (hint: try to get off-Mall a bit - Nat'l Cathedral, Zoo, Embassy Row, etc!)

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
31 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 day trip- here is my plan for day 1 & 2

I would love to see your 4 day plan since I am going there for 4 days in September. I haven't gotten it all planned out yet, but one thing we are planning to do is the DC by foot tour that is free and rated #1 on here. ( http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g28970-d676041-Reviews-D_C_by_Foot-Washington_DC_District_of_Columbia.html) We are going to do that the first day to help us get oriented to the city since we have never been there.

Western NY
Destination Expert
for Marco Island
Level Contributor
1,202 posts
234 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 day trip- here is my plan for day 1 & 2

Just returned from WDC. Not sure what you'll do at the Korean War Memorial for 30 minutes. I think 15 tops. Its a wonderful memorial but I don't see what you'd do other than reflect for 30 minutes. If you don't know specific vets that you are looking for at the Vietnam Memorial, you may find the same 15 minutes will work. WWII is much larger than the other two.

You should be able to get some more in on Day 1. Do you want to see the Capitol? Library of Congress? Supreme Court? If so, you can see them on Day 1 (walking around them but not going into the Capitol or Supreme Court). You can see the Library of Congress in an hour.

Its a 2.2 mile walk from Lincoln to the Capitol. Along the walk, there's a memorial to the Declaration of Independence that I had never seen before. Quite pretty. And there's the DC War Memorial.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
32 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 day trip- here is my plan for day 1 & 2

I put the Washington Momument into Day 1 since I was in the area.

Bureau of Engraving and Printing since I don't plan to be up at the crack of dawn for the day I will be near there (coming in the previous niht, dealing w/ a 3 hr time diffrence) is not on the schedule.

The tourmobile I have planned for the transportation issue on day 2 so I can see all those items. I also just plan to stay on it and do the whole route.

I have other questions -will start another topic so I can help others who might have the same questions.

Thanks to everyones input

Stuck in North Texas
Level Contributor
729 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 day trip- here is my plan for day 1 & 2

Hi Katty,

Just wanted to say that I'm looking forward to your day 3 & 4. We are also planning a 4 day trip and taking advantage of your planning!

Thanks.

8. Re: 4 day trip- here is my plan for day 1 & 2

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2009, 20:18