We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sofitel?

Townsville...
Level Contributor
53 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
sofitel?

we've booked into the sofitel at lafayette square for our quick trip to DC.

we are there from midday 29th December - midday 31st December.

is this hotel a good choice? we want to spend the bulk of our time exploring the mall plus arlington cemetary.

we'll also want to visit restaurants and bars each night..

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,603 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sofitel?

From a location standpoint, the Sofitel is fine. Close to Metro and really walking distance to The Mall. Very close to the White House and the National Christmas Tree, as you probably know.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,218 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sofitel?

Yes, that's a good location for touring the main tourist attractions. There are a few bar/restaurant options very close by and the Penn Quarter area is walking distance if it's not too cold.

Townsville...
Level Contributor
53 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sofitel?

thank you!

any other tips for our short trip would be appreciated.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
5,456 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: sofitel?

The Sofitel is a wonderful hotel. I've stayed there a couple times and really wished I could've just moved in! Something to bear in mind though...try to request a room in the rear. It faces an office building, but it's super quiet. Another room I had on the H St. side was not conducive to sleep -taxis and buses passed by all through the night. Earplugs didn't even help.

Not much goes on around the hotel since it's in the business district. So don't expect to find alot of shops and conveniences open late. There is a CVS drugstore/chemist on 14th St. near New York Ave., NW, about a 5 minute walk. Bobby Van's Steakhouse is across from the hotel. Cafe Mozart is straight down H St., across from the "Abe Lincoln" church. The hotel has a nice bar, but service can either be perfect or iffy depending on the day. And of course there's Old Ebbitt Grill which many visitors seem to go to. Personally, I'd walk further down 15th St. to Cafe du Parc in the Willard Hotel complex. A must-do is to walk through "Peacock Alley" at Christmas time and maybe even have drinks at the Round Robin Bar in the Willard.

Berea, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: sofitel?

My husband and I were attracted to Sofitel by its TA rating; securing a $149/night rate for Dec. 27-29, 2007, sealed the deal for us. Such a terrific value considering the well-appointed room and exceptionally courteous staff! Our only small disappointments in our 2-night stay were the confined hanging space in the closet and a dismal inner courtyard view (but didn't request a change given that we had such a low rate and also we weren't spending much time in the room.)

A tip: Apply for a Sofitel privilege card, which allows you to delay checkout until mid-afternoon. We were most grateful for the extra hours to fit in one more museum excursion and excellent lunch at Oyamel Cocina Mexicana.

We also enjoyed meals at Central on Pennsylvania near 10th and at Ceiba (three blocks from the Sofitel) as choices very different from anything we might find at home. Central offers a French take on American bistro choices; I had the shrimpburger (at my stepson's recommendation)and exceptional green salad, and my husband, a crabcake with leek tartar for lunch. Excellent! At Ceiba we ate Latin cuisine -- a sampler of four kinds of ceviche, conch chowder and a poblano relleno stuffed with shredded duck plus the best mojitos we've ever had.

Glen Echo, Maryland
Level Contributor
190 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: sofitel?

The hotel is lovely and has a very nice, but pricy, bar and restaurant. And it is just down the block from my favorite NY Deli restaurant, Loebs Deli. Have a Walters Favorite sandwich. Open M-F for breakfast and lunch. You are prime restaurant and club zone, just off the Metro line and spitting distance of the White House. It will be quiet in town when you are visiting, so you should be able to get around without any difficulty.

7. Re: sofitel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2009, 20:18