We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

DC metrorail & metrobus

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Palm Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Topic
DC metrorail & metrobus

We are going to be in DC for 4 days without a car and will be riding the metro. Locals can help me also, what pass and/or passes do we need to get? I have not looked on the metro website yet. Should I get a pass for bus also? We are staying ES 22nd street.

Thanks

Maryland
Level Contributor
3,001 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: DC metrorail & metrobus

First look at metro's website at www.wmata.com

I suggest just getting a farecard and putting about $20.00 on each card for each person over the age required to have a card. I say this because the other passes have stipulations like not being able to use it during rush hour or weekends, etc. Just buy one farecard at any kiosk at any metro station and then put $20.00 on it and use that same card every time you enter and exit each station. When you get down to about $2.00 or so, I would probably add a few more dollars to it and even if you didn't metro won't let you exit without adding more money which can be done at the 'add fare to ticket' kiosks at the exit gates. Only make sure you have cash or change on hand as they don't take credit cards.

Maryland
Level Contributor
3,001 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: DC metrorail & metrobus

Oh, and with the bus, I really don't think you will be riding the bus that often so I would just pay whenever you do use it. The DC Circulator bus is probably going to be used more and they are only $1.00. www.dccirculator.com

Texas
Level Contributor
58 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: DC metrorail & metrobus

I'm confused as I thought I had read that you can buy the facecards with credit cards...or is it only the ones at the exit that require cash? I want to make sure we carry enough cash with us.

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: DC metrorail & metrobus

I think you need cash (not credit) only if you need to 'add fare to ticket' in order to exit because your farecard doesn't have enough money on it, not to purchase the original farecard.

Maryland
Level Contributor
3,001 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: DC metrorail & metrobus

You can use credit cards, debit cards, and cash when initially purchasing the farecards. I mentioned that if you had to add money onto the cards before exiting the station (when you go to far and don't have enough money on the card) they only allow cash (coins or bills). A lot of people don't realize that, that's why I mentioned it. Sorry if you got confused.

Boston...
Level Contributor
15 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: DC metrorail & metrobus

I just got back from a week in DC, we had the metro rail unlimited pass, for seven days it was 39 bucks per person, and it was good anytime, day or night. We loved it, we were not sure where or how many trips we would make so we just wanted to have a pass that covered us, rather than being stuck adding money to a farecard. I wish they made this pass for a duration shorter than seven days, but I dont think they do. I would agree with using farecards, but I would be likely to put more than 20 bucks on each one.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19,585 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: DC metrorail & metrobus

A lot depends on how many days you will be riding and how far away from the major sites your hotel is. If you stay downtown and only ride to Smithsonian Metro stop each day, a weekly pass will cost more than you would spend using an ordinary farecard. There is no one answer.

8. Re: DC metrorail & metrobus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2009, 06:29