We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

National Museum of American Indian

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
National Museum of American Indian

I saw the mixed reviews of this museum...

Are 6 & 8 year old kids going to be interested in this? I would say they are generally interested in American Indians but they also have short attention spans.

I am trying to figure out if I should get the tickets ahead of time or not - but I have to pay if I do that & it's free if we walk up (but of course then we'd have a wait with little ones [I have a three year old too]). Or just skip it.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,472 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: National Museum of American Indian

I enjoy museums, but I found the layout to be a bit confusing and I felt dijointed by the exhibit. That said, there is a lot of neat stuff to look at throughout the museum.

As for tickets, I went with a small group on a Saturday (we met around 11 am) a couple of weeks ago and we walked right in without tickets or waiting in line.

I would say that if you have to choose museums that you should pick Air and Space, American History and Natural History as the first choice with children.

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,155 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: National Museum of American Indian

We, too, didn't need any advance tickets when we went to the American Indian Museum. We were there on a Saturday afternoon in May and there was a short line to go through security. I, too, have mixed feelings about this museum. While the tribal exhibits are interesting and I learned a lot from them, I found myself wondering just how they selected the tribes to be represented. Plus the layout can be somewhat confusing. At times, we thought that we saw everything on a particular floor but then we would turn a corner and discover more to see. The gift shop had some nice looking items but I found it disconcerting to see many of the items were made in China or Thailand---somehow I didn't expect that! We tried the fry bread in the cafeteria--shared a piece as a snack--it was reasonably priced and freshly made. Perhaps your kids would like some parts of it since they are interested in American Indians. The museum isn't all that huge so how long you spend there depends on how long you want to linger at each display.