We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tips from three trips

florida
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
tips from three trips

We've been lucky enough to make three trips to DC since 2004 and are returning next week--still so much to see and do (and eat!) Here are our "bests"--there are no worsts. (We are 2 50+ adults, but still active.)

PLACE TO STAY: Woodley Park Guest House. We're going back for our 3d stay. Wonderful hospitality, lively conversations, genuine warmth, affordable rooms. Across the street from the Woodley Park Metro. Can't say enough good things about this wonderful hotel alternative.

THINGS TO DO YOU MIGHT NOT THINK OF:

Library of Congress--wonderful free tour. You'll be dazzled by the magnificence of this American palace. And you can have a very affordable lunch in the staff cafeteria in the Adams building across the street.

Washington National Cathedral--jaw-dropping architecture, a spectacular view of the city from the towers. Great gift shop!

National Building Museum--another great free tour, absorbing exhibits, architectural splendor and an even better gift shop!

Kennedy Center--free minibus to center from Foggy Bottom/GWU metro. Tour of the facility (you can visit the theatre where the KC honors are given) and free daily performance on the Millenium Stage.

Washington Walks Tours--my favorite was the "Moveable Feast" given on Saturdays. Washington food legends, ending up at Ben's Chili Bowl.

Eastern Market--shop like a local and enjoy a vibrant neighborhood.

National Geographic Explorer's Hall: wonderful changing exhibits of all sorts. Check their website for more information. We lucked out and saw scale models of medieval castles, intricately detailed.

FAVORITE AFFORDABLE PLACES TO EAT:

Capital City Brewing--across from Union Station. Burgers and handcrafted brews. Better than the food courts, cheaper than the fancy places.

Clydes of Gallery Place--the critics may love to bash Clydes, but the crab cakes were superb, the shrimp tempura perfect, and the service the best we had in the city.

Spices--Cleveland Park Metro, just north of the National Zoo. Pan-Asian cuisine and sushi at a great price. Ginger salad was the best!

Mitsitam Cafe--National Museum of the American Indian. Food was familiar and strange at the same time--a picture of North America from coast to coast.

On the agenda for this next trip: baseball at Nationals Stadium, the Capitol Steps, Madame Tussauds, Washington Monument, Georgetown walking tour, Arlo Guthrie at the Kennedy Center, American Art Museum/Portrait Gallery. Considering the Newseum, a trip on the C&O canal. Any comments or suggestions? We've seen the monuments and Arlington, and all of the other Smithsonian Museums.

Thanks!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,164 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tips from three trips

"On the agenda for this next trip: baseball at Nationals Stadium, the Capitol Steps, Madame Tussauds..."

From what I have heard, the wax museum is not worth the time or the money.

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tips from three trips

These are some great tips, butterstick! It sounds like you've definitely experienced a lot in your trips here.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
12,627 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tips from three trips

You've listed some of my favorite "gems" of D.C.

For your upcoming trip, I especially like seeing the American Art Museum/Portrait Gallery listed. I really enjoy going there!

I'd have to agree with Darrell about Madame Tussaud's. I haven't been to the one here in D.C., but the local reviews have been less than enthusiastic. However, the Newseum generally gets good reviews, so you might want to go there instead.

I can also highly recommend the Segway tour of D.C. with City Segways. Even though we are locals, we learned a few things from our very knowledgable guide. Plus, riding Segways is just so much darn fun!

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,146 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: tips from three trips

Thanks for posting. Your tips will be very helpful to future visitors.

florida
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: tips from three trips

Thanks for all your comments! Madame Tussaud's is my husband's special request, and since most of the other picks are mine, it seems like a good idea to let him have his way on this one I've been to the ones in London, Amsterdam (puzzling when you don't know the famous Dutch historical figures) and Copenhagen (great chamber of horrors). Segway tours around town--they look like fun but honestly, after seeing the participants all lined up with their big helmets, my first thought was "dorks on parade"! Not very charitable but they did look funny. I can't wait for the next trip--in between visits I live, breathe and think DC. See you soon!

Stuck in North Texas
Level Contributor
760 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: tips from three trips

Dear Butterstick,

Thanks for this interesting post and your personal "what to dos". We are making our first trip to DC the first of October and are very excited.

It's been so much fun to read this forum and posts like yours are the icing on the cake.

Have fun next week!

Central-NJ
Level Contributor
140 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: tips from three trips

Thanks, we're going to go to National Building Museum & The Library of Congress & Kennedy Center after you've listed as tops. Will try to catch a 6pm show at Kennedy's. Great food tips too! We've also been to most of the DC attractions and enjoy the city lots. Too bad Newseum, Spy museum & the new one, Crime & Punishment are so expensive, but we've been to them already too. Thanks again.

8. Re: tips from three trips

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2009, 01:19