We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marc on Inauguration?

Centennial, Colorado
Level Contributor
263 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Marc on Inauguration?

I don't think this has already been asked, sorry if it has.

I live near the Marc Odenton station and am wondering if the schedule will remain the same on inauguration day? I'm hoping so b/c I am not driving my car to DC on such a crazy day!!

Thanks!

Centennial, Colorado
Level Contributor
263 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marc on Inauguration?

I'm responding to my own question for other people's benefit. I just called and as far as they know the schedule will remain the same. She said to call back in a month or so to make sure.

So let's hope!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,101 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marc on Inauguration?

It will be a national holiday I believe. MARC may not even be running.

Centennial, Colorado
Level Contributor
263 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marc on Inauguration?

If I hear anything I'll keep people updated, if anyone else hears something before I do please post!

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
52,448 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Marc on Inauguration?

"It will be a national holiday I believe. MARC may not even be running. "

it is not a national holiday. Government buildings are closed in the Washington area for security reasons (in some cases) and to aid in traffic flow. But it's not a holiday, it's an administrative closing. Many private sector employees will not have the day off, and government operations elsewhere in the country remain open.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,469 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Marc on Inauguration?

IrishFan is correct. That said, MARC has not announced what kind of schedule they will run (if any) on the Inauguration Day yet. As of today, they have only announced their Christmas week holiday schedule. I would keep checking the MARC website (http://www.mtamaryland.com/services/marc/) for more information.

dctravel

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
52,448 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Marc on Inauguration?

Interesting to go back and "google" for the 2005 inauguration, MARC was running that day and there was a derailment of an Amtrak train at Union Station which messed up quite a few plans apparently.

(First I heard of it, I was out of town for that inauguration and will be out of town for THIS one too!)

Anyway, if anyone wants to get a sense of what happens to transportation that day, road closures, etc, it's worth a google, it's all there!

The potential good news is that if MARC ran for the previous event I would hope it would run for this one. They usually don't shut down totally except for the "major" holidays, they still have non-government workers to transport on 1/20, at least in theory...

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
4,850 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Marc on Inauguration?

Tuesday, January 20th is a normal working day for MARC. There should be no more or fewer trains than normal.

In years past, MARC didn't run on Inauguration Day only because 1/20 coincided with a weekend or the MLK holiday, days on which MARC doesn't operate. Same will be true for the 2013 inauguration.

So while MARC is running on Inauguration Day, it is worth noting that MARC will *not* be running the day before--Monday 1/19--in observance of the MLK holiday.

Level Contributor
119 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Marc on Inauguration?

Oh no! If Marc is not running on MLK Day, how will I get to Capitol Hill to check where everything is located at? That would have been my plan for my arrival day in DC.

Centennial, Colorado
Level Contributor
263 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Marc on Inauguration?

Tracy - will you have a rental car? On weekends and holidays (if enough people get it off) it is easy to park at the metro lots. Maybe that will be different for the day before inauguration though...

Level Contributor
119 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Marc on Inauguration?

Becky, I'm confused. I will be driving into the city, but why park at the station if they're not running? My hotel is located near a station and I was hoping on leaving my car at the hotel and using the MARC.