We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

experts-list of popular resuraurants

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York
Level Contributor
858 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
experts-list of popular resuraurants

hi going to DC for Inaugural weekend, experts do you have a list of local restraurants moderate priced, reached by public transport, and some wine-beer pubs.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19,954 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: experts-list of popular resuraurants

The Inauguration is not on a weekend, but on a Tuesday. The entire celebration will extend over the period January 15 to 24th. All popular restaurants will be overwhelmed during the few days around January 20. You will be lucky to be able to eat anywhere.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: experts-list of popular resuraurants

Brenna,

On the wine side, Cork and Proof are well-regarded for wine. RFD, the Brickskeller, and Biero Paradiso have great beers. Google for details.

You may have to be more specific on the restaurant side to get anything worthwhile here--types of cuisine, where you're staying, what you consider moderately-priced, etc. The Washingtonian's Restaurant Finder is a good place to start.

Level Contributor
119 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: experts-list of popular resuraurants

Will the restaurants get crowded just at dinner or for lunch etc ? Thanks!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: experts-list of popular resuraurants

I imagine with a full crowd dinner and lunch will both be popular. www.opentable.com is a good resource for reservations. Many top tables will be filling up fast, I am sure.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19,954 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: experts-list of popular resuraurants

Downtown DC is overrun with people during the few days around the Inauguration. Lunch and dinner and all the rest of the day. You need to get away from downtown to get away from the crowds. In 2005 I left town just to get away from the madness. This year I will just be sure to stock up on groceries so I won't need to go out to eat.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,465 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: experts-list of popular resuraurants

I second the recommendation of using Open Table. It is free to sign up and they will give you a real time look at what restaurants are available on any given day and time.

As for restaurant location, the other posters are correct that restaurants in general will be busy, but if you should not have a problem finding something to your liking. The Brickskeller (sp?) is a great place for beer, but their food is good, but not great. If you venture away from downtown, Capitol Hill, Gallery Place/Chinatown area you should have a little easier time. Check out restaurants in the West End, Georgetown and other Metro accessible neighborhoods like Cleveland Park and Woodley Park.

dctravel

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,905 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: experts-list of popular resuraurants

Another fly in the ointment: Hundreds of private events being held. Receptions, dinners and cocktail parties by the "movers and shakers" will have some places closed.

8. Re: experts-list of popular resuraurants

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2009, 07:17