We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Who wants to tour the Whitehouse - 4th April 2009?

London, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Who wants to tour the Whitehouse - 4th April 2009?

I want to arrange a tour to the Whitehouse on Saturday 4 April 2009 and through reading a previous post I have learnt that the only way to do this is organise a tour through the Britsh Embassy in Washington.

They only arrange tours for parties of 10+ and at the moment it's just me and my boyfriend going. If anyone would like to tour the Whitehouse on that day please give them a ring. The tour is free. The numbers or the Embassy are:

Telephone General: (1)(202) 588 6500

Telephone General: (1)(202) 588 7800

- if you dial 0, you will be put through to an operator, who will direct you to the appropriate person (who is really nice!).

Whitehouse tours are scheduled one month in advance, so if you want to tour the Whitehouse that day, please let the embassy know by 4th March.

london
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Who wants to tour the Whitehouse - 4th April 2009?

In case it does all go to plan I am a British national so hopefully that ticks one box

London, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Who wants to tour the Whitehouse - 4th April 2009?

Hi everyone.

I have a bit of bad news.

I contacted the British Embassy in Washington, DC and they said (Carol Blackwell said) that at the moment the White House is not taking submissions of any embassies for tours unless they are made six weeks in advance. She explained that normally it is 30 days in advance – depending on the season – but in current circumstances they are doing it with 6 weeks in advance.

She is going to e-mail me the forms that need to be filled if the group includes British nationals. The minimum is 10 people. A group of American citizens only can do tours by submitting a request to their member of congress.

After I (or anyone for that matter) submit the group request, if the group is less than 10 people then she will wait and see if more people sign up – which she explained normally never happens – but which is exactly what we’re trying to change here.

I’m sure this must be a disappointment but I am going to try and organise another date and open a new thread. I’ll post the link here. If you want to see the documents you need to submit, I’ll email them to you if you send me your e-mail addresses (via PRIVATE MESSAGE).

Thanks everyone!

London, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Who wants to tour the Whitehouse - 4th April 2009?

This is what Carol from the embassy wrote to me:

Please read attached special instructions, and if you feel you meet the White House criteria, then please do fill in the forms and return to me. Please note they require US date format.

As previously mentioned, there are no tours being approved at the moment. The 6-week prior notice rule will apply once tours start up again, so please take that into consideration when requesting dates.

Somerset UK
Destination Expert
for Devon
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Who wants to tour the Whitehouse - 4th April 2009?

I've been in touch with the embassy too (I'm a British citizen) regarding a tour between April 14th and 17th but they don't have 10 people.

wisconsin
8 posts
Save Reply
25. Re: Who wants to tour the Whitehouse - 4th April 2009?

Any chance your new tour will be May 1 or 2? If so I have two people interested in being on the list. This is Laura from the previous thread. My daughter is 11 and I will be in D.C. on the above dates. We are American.Please include us in communications if the new tour will be that first weekend in May. Thank you!

Somerset UK
Destination Expert
for Devon
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Who wants to tour the Whitehouse - 4th April 2009?

If anybody is going between April 14th and 17th inclusive and needs to make up the numbers to 10 we (2 of us) would be interested in joining your group.

Singapore, Singapore
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
27. Re: Who wants to tour the Whitehouse - 4th April 2009?

Hi Travelgirl

Just want to find out if you managed to get a group of 10 people?

My sister and I are visiting DC at that same period ... any chance we can join your group?

PS ... we are not US nor British citizens

~Angela

28. Re: Who wants to tour the Whitehouse - 4th April 2009?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2009, 08:20