We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Resturants locals like

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Warsaw, In
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Resturants locals like

Could anyone tell me where the local people eat in Foggy Bottom and Georgetown areas? Somewhere cheaper but still good.

thank you

Hagerstown, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,157 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Resturants locals like

If you like Indian, I can recommend Aditi, on M St. in Georgetown. Although it's been a couple years since I last ate there, I remember getting great meals there for maybe $10-$15 per person.

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,140 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Resturants locals like

Aditi is recommended by "Washingtonian" magazine in their annual "Cheap Eats" issue. Other cheap eats in Georgetown recommended by the magazine:

Amma Indian Vegetarian Kitchen

3291-A M St., NW

Five Guys

1335 Wisconsin Ave., NW

Pizzeria Paradiso

3283 M St., NW

DC
Level Contributor
794 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Resturants locals like

Georgetown is all tourists and College students. It is hard to get a "local" flavor from there.

If you are looking for a bunch of restaurants were the locals hang out try the 17th Street Strip (17th Street NW, between P Street and R Street, about a 5 block stretch)

This is in East Dupont. Very popular, very safe area, 4 block walk from the Dupont Metro.

There are approx. 15 -20 restaurants within that short distance, and most have outdoor seating if you wish. It is basically all locals.

Everything from Sushi to Italian to Tex-Mex, to chi-chi bistro to Diner and everything inbetween.

Can't go wrong on 17th Street.

My favorites are Dupont Italian Kitchen and Trios Diner.

Cheers,

Dev

Warsaw, In
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Resturants locals like

Thanks for your input. I've written down all your suggestions to use

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Resturants locals like

Agree with Dev, although I have to recommend Food Bar DC at the corner of 17th and R. Don't be afraid of the gay flavor of the place - I'm 1/2 of a hetero couple and live directly across the street (I can see the Food Bar patio from my balcony). This is definitely a local hang out - including me on one or two nights a week!

DC
Level Contributor
794 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Resturants locals like

Hiya DCGal~

I agree with you on FoodBar. The only problem I had with it was when it first opened it tried too hard to be trendy, you know, the wait staff dressed all in black. Great Food.

Sushi Taro is pretty good too, if you like that kind of thing.

Have you tried Pasha Take Away, where Elite of 17th Street used to be. The falaffel isn't too bad.

Dupont Italian Kitchen has a Chicken Costilina to die for (Chicken Parmesian over Eggplant Parmesian), and makes a killer Tira Misu.

But, my favorite for just plane home style comfort food is Trios. I've been going there since I moved to DC such a long time ago. Now tha I live around the corner, I wind up there quite a bit. They know me so well that by the time I get to my seat they already have my glass of Iced Tea waiting for me.

It didn't even dawn on me to mention the gay flavor of the place. If anything, coming from the gay perspective, it seems less and less gay than it used to. But, STILL a fun area with great people! The people watching from the outdoor patios during the warmer weather is half the fun. Always a parade of humanity passing by.

Cheers,

Dev

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,459 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Resturants locals like

If you are in the Foggy Bottom/White House area for lunch also try the Breadline on Pennsylvania Avenue near 17th Street. They have great soups and sandwhiches.