We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Lodging Help with specific itinerary

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
288 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Need Lodging Help with specific itinerary

I hope this hasn't been asked in quite this way. I'm not trying to get out of the searching the Forum first--I promise. I haven't been to DC. What neighborhood/s would provide a "centralized" or best location if our itinerary plans are as outlined below? This will be 2nd week of April and cost is an issue so I'll probably Hotwire/Priceline (or whatever else anyone recommends) the room if I know which neighborhood to choose that way I can go for a 4-star choice. We'll have 3 full days for itinerary with the other two days as travel days.

-Campus Tour - Georgetown and GW Univ. not necessarily on same day--unless doable.

-Capitol Tour and walking the monuments, mall etc.

-Possibly visit Adams Morgan section if it's truly the "Greenwich Village" of DC.

Plan to use Metro or walk (as feasible!)

Thanks so much!!!!!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19,849 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need Lodging Help with specific itinerary

Sounds like a Dupont Circle kind of trip to me. You can easily get a bus, or even walk, to the 2 universities and Adams Morgan (which is mostly bars and restaurants, with little shopping). And a Metro stop to get you down to The Mall in a few minutes.

BUT...I have been told that the Omni Shoreham is considered Dupont Circle on those bidding sites, which no one who lives in DC would agree with. And that doesn't quite fit all of your criteria, but is close to Adams Morgan and a Metro stop.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
288 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need Lodging Help with specific itinerary

Thank you Darrell for getting back to me so quickly. Do you have any other suggestions for getting good hotel rates that you can control unlike using a Hotwire/Priceline. I've actually never used either of them. Considered them too risky. Do you think I have bargaining power considering economy even if our timing seems to be cherry blossom time????

Is it worth going to Adams Morgan for the food? Is it truly like a Greenwich Village as I saw it described?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19,849 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need Lodging Help with specific itinerary

I have never booked a hotel room in any way except through the hotel's website or over the phone, so I cannot be any help there.

Adams Morgan is an interesting area and has lots of interesting restaurants. And lots of drinking. It never struck me as much like Greenwich Village. Using the bus or walking from Dupont Circle, it is easy to get to. You might as will see what you think.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
288 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need Lodging Help with specific itinerary

Thanks. I think I will narrow list to hotels in the Dupont Circle neighborhood and go to websites or call before I resort to the more risky route.

I appreciate you getting me started!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need Lodging Help with specific itinerary

I have had good luck with Hotwire 4-star hotels in the Dupont area. Darrell is right that the Omni Shoreham sometimes shows up on Hotwire as "Dupont." While that is inaccurate, it is in the lovely Woodley Park neighborhood and just steps from the Metro--a 5 minute ride to Dupont Circle proper. Don't discount the Omni Shoreham for that reason.

The other 4-star hotel that often shows up on Howtire is the Hilton Embassy Row, which is quite nice and conveniently located.

Frankly, I find Adams Morgan a bit tawdry. It is a great college/post-college bar scene but that may not be your thing. If you're looking for shopping/neat restaurants/etc., I would recommend instead Georgetown (along M and Wisconsin) or the U Street corridor between 18th and 10th or so.

Finally, I agree that Dupont would be the "place to stay" for your itinerary. You could walk to U Street, Georgetown, and GW if you desired, or easily catch a Metro or bus (no Metro in Georgetown) to the same.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
288 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need Lodging Help with specific itinerary

Thank you tbwhall! I was just going to write another post about people's experiences with Hotwire and Priceline because as long as a 4-star is going to give me a decent hotel in a decent neighborhood than I think it's worth the savings. The alternative is calling hotels that I like and bargaining. There must be some wiggle room in this economy!

7. Re: Need Lodging Help with specific itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2009, 22:17