We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe Hotel Close to DC

Rocky Hill, CT
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Topic
Safe Hotel Close to DC

My boyfriend and I are going to DC next week (3/11-3/13) and have not booked a hotel yet. We would need it to be either close to a metro station or within about 5 miles of a metro station that has parking because we will have a car but do not want to drive through DC. My boyfriend is also very concerned with the safety of the area so it will need to feel safe. That being said the most we can spend per night would be about $90-100 a night but less would be much better considering we are college students. We have tried to search the hotel tab on this website and other travel search engines but there keeps being concerns with the safety of the hotels. Thanks!!!

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,159 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe Hotel Close to DC

The problem with being within 5 miles of a Metro station---during the week, Metro parking lots fill up very early in the morning. That said, see if you can book a hotel in Springfield, VA. There are hotels near the Metro station there and hotels near the station will provide a free shuttle to the station. Hotels to look into: Best Western Springfield; Comfort Inn Washington DC/Springfield; Hampton Inn Washington DC/Springfield; Hilton Springfield; Holiday Inn Express Springfield. If you're finding that rates in these hotels are out of your range, consider bidding for a room using Priceline. The website www.betterbidding.com is very helpful when it comes to using the bidding process.

dl
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,126 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe Hotel Close to DC

I'm not aware of any particular saftey issues with hotels in most areas of DC or in the surrounding area. What are u reading and what areas.?

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,159 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe Hotel Close to DC

There are some areas of NE where there are hotels and these areas are not the best. If one finds a hotel in DC that's incredibly cheap, it's either in a bad area or it is a fleabag dump.

dl
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,126 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safe Hotel Close to DC

Yes, I agree -- that's why I was asking which areas of DC specifically is she concerned about. It's rare that tourists stumble across those areas.

U could also try out in the burbs in MD -- Gaithersburg has a fair number of hotels and they are near the Red Line metro stop.

Alpha Centauri
Level Contributor
785 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safe Hotel Close to DC

Bethesda might be a consideration. Lot's of restaurants, parking, hotels, shopping, metro. The chain hotels are there. See what Priceline says for your price range. Bethesda is really nice & safe and easy to get around from. Good Luck! --Sandy

Moville, Ireland
Level Contributor
296 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safe Hotel Close to DC

Hi, I won a 4 star hotel in downtown washington through Priceline for $112 a night (end of june) including taxes, so im sure you could get a 3 star for cheaper and at least you would be downtown!

Rocky Hill, CT
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Safe Hotel Close to DC

We had heard that the NE area of DC is not very safe, and some of the cheaper hotels we were looking at appeared to be in that area. Are there any other specific areas of the city that are unsafe?

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Safe Hotel Close to DC

Not really. Just some parts of NE and some parts of SE (which I don't think has many hotels anyway).

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Safe Hotel Close to DC

If you are going to try Priceline or Hotwire, you can take a look at this website:

www.betterbidding.com

The winning bids calendar shows a Priceline win for your dates of Club Quarters for $87 and a few Hotwire wins in your price range, including Omni Shoreham.

The calendar:

www.betterbidding.com/index.php…

Rocky Hill, CT
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Safe Hotel Close to DC

I think we are going to end up booking the Howard Johnson Inn Cheverly. We found a rate for $65 a night and they have a shuttle service to the metro. Has anybody heard anything bad about this area or hotel?