We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2-3 day itinerary with disabled

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lexington, MA
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Topic
2-3 day itinerary with disabled

Please advise on this: going with a disabled, elderly, and very sharp man. Get there on a Sunday afternoon--not time for much.

Monday- Capitol tour arranged at 11:30, then lunch at capitol visitor center or union station, then bus tour, possibly memorials (Lincoln, ww2), dinner?

Tuesday-- Air and Space, Am. Hist. Museum- lunch, dinner?

Wed. leave in afternoon

will have a car, wheelchair. any way can fit in Holocaust Museum or Newseum?

Calverton, New York
Level Contributor
331 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2-3 day itinerary with disabled

I think your itinerary isn't overloaded which is a good thing. I don't know how lunch is at the capitol visitor center, but there are several choices in Union Sta. Next door to Union Sta. is the Capitol City Brewery which has alot of steps for indoor dining, but nice tables outside. Food is what you'd expect- microbrews, creative salads, burgers, etc.

As you tour the National Mall area, keep in mind that it is approx. 1 full mile long, and the monuments will require lots of wheelchair pushing for someone with energy. But all is paved and I think you'll be ok. I think ditching the car is a good idea, parking will use up alot of time and in my case patience! If your elderly member can transfer from the wheelchair and get up the steps into the bus, I'd suggest the circulator buses that run around the area. They may be wheelchair accessible. You can get a day pass and hop on and off as you need. Hope this helps!!

Washington, Virginia
Level Contributor
259 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2-3 day itinerary with disabled

I was looking around for metro info and came across this from another board, you might find something helpful here.

fodors.com/community/united-states/washingto…

3. Re: 2-3 day itinerary with disabled

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 October 2009, 05:17