We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weekend parking near Mall/Lincoln Memorial and Georgetown

Hummelstown
Destination Expert
for Hershey
Level Contributor
431 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Weekend parking near Mall/Lincoln Memorial and Georgetown

We are coming into DC for Mother's Day weekend and staying at the Capitol Hilton on Saturday night.

We will be arriving earlier than our check-in time and I hoped there were some suggestions regarding parking on Saturday morning.

It is my understanding that even metered parking is free on weekends, but that there is a 3 hr parking limit. Is that accurate? My goal is to park on the street until about noon or 1pm, then check into the hotel and park the car in the hotel garage until Sunday when we check out.

On Sunday, the plan is to go to the C&O Canal in Georgetown-take a canal boat ride, etc. Any suggestions regarding where to park? Free or otherwise?

I'll also appreciate any suggestions for a good lunch place in Georgetown...it doesn't have to be fancy, just decent food and a decent price.

Thanks!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weekend parking near Mall/Lincoln Memorial and Georgetown

I think you would probably be OK checking into the hotel when you arrive. You probably can park the car in their garage even if your room is not ready, leaving your bags with the bellman until you return.

For Sunday, you could avoid driving to Georgetown by taking the Circulator bus, which leaves from Union Station, just a few blocks from your hotel. It is expensive to park in Georgetown, and free parking is possible but difficult. If you do want to drive, I suggest bringing a good map and cruising the streets north of M Street. Otherwise, there are several garages, including one on Wisconsin Ave just south of M Street.

My favorite lunch places in Gtown are Pizzeria Paradiso and Clydes. But there are plenty of other good choices!

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,212 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weekend parking near Mall/Lincoln Memorial and Georgetown

Parking is not necessarily free on Saturdays. Some areas do have metered hours on Saturdays. Check signs carefully. Also, as for the other spaces, if you arrive at 9:00 am, that will give you til at least noon if there is a 3 hour limit, so you should be okay. If you arrive early (before the museums open), you're probably better off near the memorials, anyway, where there is a free lot at East Potomac Park near Hains Point (near the Tidal Basin). At that time, spaces should be available.

In Georgetown on Sunday, try parking on K Street (under the overpass), or on any of the side streets. Otherwise, there is a lot at the Shops at Georgetown (entrance just south of M Street on Wisconsin).

Washington, D.C.
Level Contributor
359 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weekend parking near Mall/Lincoln Memorial and Georgetown

Parking on the National Mall is free, though I think it isn't legal until 10am--and fills up fast. I've usually found parking within a couple blocks south of the Air & Space Museum, on the south side of Independence Ave. If you want to be anywhere near there. Or, you can park at the Zoo fairly cheaply at eat nearby or take Metro elsewhere. Again, depends where you want to be.

4. Re: Weekend parking near Mall/Lincoln Memorial and Georgetown

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 November 2009, 07:20