We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

memorial week trip itinerary almost done--advice?

TX
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Topic
memorial week trip itinerary almost done--advice?

Here's the tentative plan for Sat the 23rd--7 days in the DC area. If anyone sees something here that won't work/bad idea, please let us know. TIA!

1. Late afternoon arrival in Baltimore. Rental car to Alexandria hotel. Park free at Van Dorn metro station. Take blue line to Federal Triangle. Old Post office for view of city then join with walking tour of monuments (6 to 7:30 pm) then metro to Capitol South; concert rehearsal near capitol. Eat?

2. Sunday take metro again to Smithsonian; plan 2 hours at each museum: Air/Space, American Indian (lunch); Natural History and American History. dinner?

3. Memorial Day: metro to Arlington cemetery; 11 am wreath ceremony; metro to Archives/Navy Memorial; 1:30 pm wreath ceremony; walk to parade route near archives for 2 pm parade. After parade, take metro to King Street in Alexandria for afternoon in old town or Fort Ward area. eat?

4. Leave for condo in Williamsburg.

5. Day at Busch Gardens; eat?

6. Drive to Monticello--2 hours; lunch at Mitchie tavern; then drive to Staunton--outdoor historical farm; drive to Polypay farm South of Staunton. Back to Williamsburg.

7. Day at Colonial Williamsburg

8. Drive towards Virginia Beach; cross Chesapeake bay tunnel bridge and drive up the Delmarva peninsula back to Baltimore;

9. fly out of BWI Sat. morning.

Is this a reasonable plan? If anyone has experience with any of the driving or time allowed, let me know if this will work.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,427 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: memorial week trip itinerary almost done--advice?

Just one day for Colonial Williamsburg? No time for Jamestown or Yorktown? I would skip day 6 full of driving and spend more time near Williamsburg.

California
Level Contributor
1,435 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: memorial week trip itinerary almost done--advice?

Why not do Monticello on Day 4? Leave DC early. Go to Monticello, then drive to Williamsburg.

TX
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: memorial week trip itinerary almost done--advice?

Thanks for the advice. Nothing is final on the plan yet. We don't mind driving as long as traffic isn't bad--one of our group wants to see Monticello, one wants to see the Blue Ridge Mtns./Appalachian trail; one wants to see the Staunton living history farms etc. Have you been to Williamsburg area? Will Colonial Williamsburg take more than one day? We do plan to drive to Jamestowne settlement and take the ferry over to eat at the Surrey restaurant.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,427 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: memorial week trip itinerary almost done--advice?

To really do Colonial Williamsburg justice, yes, it will take more than one day.

near Washington DC
Level Contributor
230 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: memorial week trip itinerary almost done--advice?

I like your plan. And I'll assume that since you have a condo in Williamsburg, you have explored there before. I agree the order is little weird as you go from DC to Williamsburg to Charlottesville and then back to Williamsburg but I'll assume this is again because of the condo situation. Still, I'd rather see you leave DC in the morning, drive to Charlottesville for the day, and then drive to your Williamsburg condo. There is much more for the tourist in Williamsburg compared to Charlottesville. But I am unfamiliar with the Staunton cites you mentioned. Maybe run these by a VA forum first. But, although it is a big travel day, it frees you up for a full day of Williamsburg.

And I like the Navy Memorial and especially the concert rehearsal in DC but please rethink Arlington. The other two items will capture Memorial Day in DC for you without the nasty logistics of travel. Its a great opportunity to throw in a Mt Vernon instead. It would make a good companion to your Monticello trip.

I love parades. I have participated in many. But unless you know someone in the parade, I wouldn't stay. You're already packing a lot of DC into 2 days. Leave for Alexandria early. Every town in America has a parade on Memorial Day. Or add more time for the monuments - 1.5 hr is barely scratching the surface. And there is considerable walking involved. If I had only 1.5 hr, I'd rather be on a tour bus to see more.

Sounds like a great trip!

Va
Level Contributor
11,275 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: memorial week trip itinerary almost done--advice?

A half day at williamsburg is more than enough (probably too much). There really isn't a lot there even if you pay to go into all the buildings.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,427 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: memorial week trip itinerary almost done--advice?

Half a day! I could spend that much time exploring the grounds of the Governor's Palace. If you have any interest in American History, Colonial Williamsburg is amazing. And don't miss the DeWitt Wallace Decorative Arts Museum. http://www.history.org/

roanoke, va
Level Contributor
156 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: memorial week trip itinerary almost done--advice?

if you're really gung ho and everyone in your traveling party moves fast then this is maybe do-able. honestly day 2 would be too much for me. you really won't do most of those museums justice in only 2 hrs apiece. natural history alone can take all day to see all the exhibits. but then again maybe you aren't really museum people.

my only concern for day 3 would be allowing time to travel. you're hitting pretty popular destinations in our nation's capital on a national holiday. the metro will be insane, and it will probably take you longer than you think to get around.

honestly, day 6 also has me stumped. that's a ton of driving to go from VA beach to c'ville to stanton and back. but again, if you're up for a very long day then have at it. don't forget to take into account that traffic will be heavier than normal pretty much everywhere bc of the holiday weekend.

reading over, i hope this doesn't come across as harsh bc that's not at all how i meant it. it's just my opinion that you may have a bit too much crammed into one week. but best of luck and i hope you enjoy your trip.

TX
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: memorial week trip itinerary almost done--advice?

Wow! Ya'll are just great help! I realize I wasn't real clear on a couple of the days. We are driving late Monday to our rented condo in Williamsburg. Day 4 is Busch; Day 5 is Monticello/Staunton drive; Day 6 is Colonial Williamsburg; Day 7 is the VA Beach/Delmarva peninsula drive back to Baltimore.

To Darrell: Yes, we all love history! We also love beautiful scenery, whether natural or architectural.

TO MD Dan: we have never been to Virginia, so all help is appreciated.

to Guspork: please explain what an "insane metro" is like:). We are from a rural area, so this might be exciting to us!! Will the security/lines be really horrible at Arlington? I had read the flags flying on the graves was very moving; I also love parades with bands, but we probably won't stay for the whole parade. Has anyone been to Fort Ward in Alexandria on memorial day? We would have liked to see Mount Vernon also, but didn't think there would be time. I have discovered through my research for this trip that we will definitely need to come back again. Does anyone know where we can buy one or two day passes to the Metro this weekend? It's too late to order online. Has anyone else done the Delmarva drive? Thanks everyone again for all your advice!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,427 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: memorial week trip itinerary almost done--advice?

You can buy farecards at any Metro station and I believe that includes the one-day passes.

The "insane Metro" is probably an observation about the crowds of tourists trying to find their way around. Since there will be much extra security at Arlington Cemetery on Monday, it may be a big hassle. (I'm assuming the President will be there.)