We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Storage during WHite House tour?

Lawrence, KS
Level Contributor
22 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Storage during WHite House tour?

We're thrilled to have scored a White House tour for next week, but I'm wondering if anyone knows of any public lockers in the area where we might store our stuff during the tour. Perhaps the metro station? Nothing is allowed in and we are coming from our hotel in Vienna for an 8am tour (so suggestions would need to be something that opens early). We'd like to visit to spend the rest of our day visiting other things, but with two kids, we usually travel with a backpack full of snacks, camera, etc. Would it be worth it to try to drive in and park at that early hour so that we can store stuff in our car?

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Storage during WHite House tour?

No, not the Metro station. I think this has been discussed before. You might be able to find info by searching.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
240 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Storage during WHite House tour?

If you are going to drive in, I would recommend parking at Union Station. Rates are $19 daily. Metro parking rates are $4.50 however there is no storage at Metro stations for items such as backpacks. If you chose to park at the Metro and store your items while you tour, you only have one option, Union Station. The National Museum of National History does have lockers however I do not believe that I let you store for long periods of time unless you are visiting the museum. Union Station has various rates depending on the size of your item. Small items (purses, camera bags, etc.) are $2 per hour and $10 daily. Medium items (such as backpacks and briefcases) are $4 per hour and $20 daily. Multiple items (up to 3 pieces) is $8 per hour and $40 daily. To determine whether it is better to drive or to Metro in depends on what you want to do.

Lawrence, KS
Level Contributor
22 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Storage during WHite House tour?

Thanks for the helpful information! A few follow up questions...

If we choose to drive in and park at Union Station, would we need to hop the Metro to get to the White House, or is it walkable? Any estimates on how long we would want to allow for the drive from Vienna to the city?

If we take the Metro and use lockers at Union Station, where might we find the lockers? I assume they are open around the clock?

I really appreciate your insights!

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
52,338 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Storage during WHite House tour?

"If we take the Metro and use lockers at Union Station, where might we find the lockers? I assume they are open around the clock?"

Union Station doesn't have lockers, they have a luggage service. I just gave them a quick call for you, they said they open at 6:00 a.m.

Best Lockers

(202) 898-1592

Street Level - Gate A

Luggage storage.

I don't commute from Vienna, but like a lot of areas in and around DC the traffic can be really bad. Hopefully someone local to that area can weigh in with thoughts on what time you should leave.

From Union Station you can take the subway or a taxi to the White House, it's a bit of a hike otherwise.

Lawrence, KS
Level Contributor
22 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Storage during WHite House tour?

Thanks so much for your help!

Washington, Virginia
Level Contributor
259 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Storage during WHite House tour?

I really wish they would provide some type of lockers nearby for visitors to the White House! It is a real inconvenience for everyone particularly subway travelers.

What day of the week is your tour? If it is during the week I would suggest leaving at 6am, this will take some of the stress away if you do get caught in heavy traffic. You will be allowed to take 66 with the number of people in your vehicle which might help. This will allow plenty of time to find parking, if you have extra time you can grab breakfast somewhere. ( I think you need to be in line for your tour early). If it is a Saturday then you should be safe leaving at 6:30am.

There is a website for parking:

http://washingtondc.bestparking.com/

plug in the WH address and see what pops up.

HUdude202
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Storage during WHite House tour?

The White House firmly restricts items that visitors can bring with them during their tour. If it’s not convenient for you to store your bags at your hotel or in your car, here are some suggestions:

1 If you’re touring after 10 a.m., you can store your bags in complimentary bag check facilities at the National Gallery of Art on Constitution Avenue between 3rd and 7th Streets (no items larger than 17” by 26”).

2 You can designate one member of your group to wait with your bags while the rest of your group takes the self-guided tour. There should be ample time for that group member to tour as well.

3 Consider having breakfast at one of the nearby hotels or restaurants. The Willard InterContinental’s Café du Parc (1401 Pennsylvania Ave. NW), Old Ebbitt Grill (15th and G Sts. NW) and Brasserie Les Halles (1201 Pennsylvania Ave. NW) will allow you to keep your bags there while you tour. The restaurants open at 7:30 am.

Georgia
Level Contributor
241 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Storage during WHite House tour?

Hi Roadlizard, I have a WH tour next Tue. What did you all end up doing with your things?

Thanks!

Lawton, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
117 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Storage during WHite House tour?

Just got back from vacation in D.C. We stayed close to Union Station, so we just left about everything there and just went back and got our things afterwards. We then went to our Capital Tour. The only thing we had were some umbrellas and we were going to stick them under some bushes and keep our finger crossed, but they let my daughters in with them anyway?

10. Re: Storage during WHite House tour?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 December 2009, 05:16