We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road trip to Florida

England
Level Contributor
1,064 posts
168 reviews
Save Topic
Road trip to Florida

Hello from UK

We are planning to fly into Washington with the intention of heading for the Skyline Drive followed by the Blue Ridge Parkway down to east Tennessee and then through Georgia to Clearwater, Florida before flying back home from Tampa.

Has anyone else done a similar road trip and can offer any tips or suggestions please?

We thought we may spend the first afternoon and following day in Washington and wonder if there is a hop-on/hop-off bus tour or a coach city tour that would be easier for us to see the sights in that short period of time. Where's the best area to look for accommodation? Where can we pick up a one-way hire car that we can leave down in Florida, airport or do they deliver to a hotel?

So many questions, so much help needed by two young-at-heart seniors!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,949 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road trip to Florida

Hi, I'm sure you will get some answers here, but in addition, you may want to post your road trip questions on the new "Road Trip" forum here on TA!

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_Tri…

We chose the Old Town Trolley for a HOHO tour when we were in DC a few months ago.

http://www.trolleytours.com/Washington-DC/

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
455 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road trip to Florida

It is usually cheaper to stay in Crystal City, Va, just across the river from DC. There are several Hotel chains and metro access to the city. Two stops on the metro and you are in DC - 10 minutes tops.

I agree that the Trolley Tours are a good quick way to see the city.

As for rental car, you could probably book that through Priceline or Hotwire and get the best rate. You can pick up the car at Dulles (I assume) and leave it at Tampa airport when you fly out.

Good luck and enjoy

England
Level Contributor
1,064 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road trip to Florida

Thanks guys, very much appreciated.

4. Re: Road trip to Florida

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 December 2009, 05:24