We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in Woodbridge, what is one thing I can do on Friday?

WDWmichelle
Level Contributor
42 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Staying in Woodbridge, what is one thing I can do on Friday?

Hi,

We are in town for a wedding, and I would like to see something tomorrow. I have heard horror stories about traffic. I would like to at least cross off one item on our sightseeing list.

The wedding is at 5pm on Friday and we are in Woodbridge and so is the wedding. What would you recommend we can reasonably do? I have a 14, 6, and 5 yr. old. I am open to anything, Mt.Vernon, the Smithsonian, the Lincoln Memorial, Arlington Nat'l Cemetery.

I appreciate any advice. Thank you.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
2,924 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying in Woodbridge, what is one thing I can do on Friday?

If you get up early, Mt. Vernon is a good option for you tomorrow.

I wouldn't plan to drive all the way into the city and back; to get to your wedding at 5, I assume you'll need to be back to where you're staying by no later than 2:30 or 3 to get yourself and the kids cleaned up and ready to go to the event. That means you'd need to leave downtown Washington by 1:45 PM to be safe. After taking morning traffic into account, unless you leave Woodbridge obscenely early it would only give you 4 hours or so in the city.

Mount Vernon cuts a solid hour out of your round trip travel time, and lets you spend it seeing something other than brake lights.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying in Woodbridge, what is one thing I can do on Friday?

I agree...I wouldn't go into DC. Stick with Mt. Vernon or something else closer to your wedding venue.

One jacknifed tractor trailer on I-395 this afternoon and game over-you will be missing that wedding.

Another place you could go is Gunston Hall-the home of George Mason. It is not far from Woodbridge at all.

http://www.gunstonhall.org/

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
20 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying in Woodbridge, what is one thing I can do on Friday?

There's splashdown waterpark in Manassas. It's not historic, but your kids will probably like it betther than the wedding.

4. Re: Staying in Woodbridge, what is one thing I can do on Friday?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2009, 07:18