We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alexandria to DC Mall w/o Metro?

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
jc tenn
Level Contributor
542 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Alexandria to DC Mall w/o Metro?

Are there buses that go between the two? I don't know if I want to ride the Metro.

TIA,

KC

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,518 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alexandria to DC Mall w/o Metro?

Yesterday's Metro accident was certainly a tragedy, but I'm not sure I would let it influence my future transoportation needs. (If that's what is behind the "don't want to ride the Metro" comment.

Millions of people safely ride Metro every year. This is the third fatal accident in about 33 years of service.

Unfortunately, accidents happen. On trains, planes, buses, cars, and even walking down the street.

You can look at wmata.com for bus information.

yfunk3
Level Contributor
470 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alexandria to DC Mall w/o Metro?

Seriously? Just from one freak accident, you're not going to ride the second largest subway system in the United States? We don't even know what caused the crash yet, and Alexandria to DC Metro lines aren't even the same line as yesterday's accident.

Maybe you should rent a car and deal with DC-area drivers while not being sure where you're going. If that doesn't change your mind about Metro, then I don't know WHAT will! I highly doubt the WMATA bus drivers would comfort your fears either.

Or maybe just stay inside your house for a while, where no trains can crash ever.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
829 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alexandria to DC Mall w/o Metro?

While I understand what you're saying, yfunk3, I don't think that's appropriate. People are worried, scared - particularly people who don't use the Metro on a regular basis. There's no need to make fun of them.

cattailgal, if you're uncomfortable riding the metro, you could take a taxi into town. While you can, technically, get from Alexandria into DC via bus, it would require many changes, and would probably take hours.

I agree with IrishFan - this was a terrible accident, but was just that - an accident - and I would try to not let it deter you. Metro is an efficient (though not as much today) and convenient way to get around the city, and I know they are taking extra precautions today to make sure everything is operating smoothly.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alexandria to DC Mall w/o Metro?

Cattailgal,

I agree with Posters #1 and #3--this is an extremely unusual incident and the Metro is generally very safe. For a quick view of how local commuters are feeling about Metro, check out this insta-poll from the Post:

…washingtonpost.com/getthere/2009/06/poll_me…

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19,849 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alexandria to DC Mall w/o Metro?

You will be much safer on a Metro train than out on the highways. Ride in a car near the middle of the train and don't worry about it. You are much more likely to be hurt walking from your hotel to the station than on the Metro train itself.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
20 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alexandria to DC Mall w/o Metro?

And yes, there are other ways to get from alexandria to the mall. Taxis, your hotel might provide a shuttle, and metroopensdoors.com can provide you with a bus schedule. Also, Alexandria has ferries at the Alexandria Waterfront that will take you to the Georgetown Waterfront and National Harbor. From the Georgetown Waterfront, you can take a shorter taxi or metro trip, or take a (long) walk downtown. Eventually (if we haven't already) I've heard rumors that we will get water taxis in Alexandria! When those come out, the commute across the water will be even shorter!

Good Luck.

7. Re: Alexandria to DC Mall w/o Metro?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 July 2009, 13:23
Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
2,878 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Alexandria to DC Mall w/o Metro?

Here are some hard facts for you:

Metro averages about 4.5 million rider trips a week.

That means that over the past five years, they have transported approximately 1 BILLION people.

They tragically killed 9 of them this month.

That means your average likelihood of being killed in a Metro Rail accident on any one trip over the past five year period is about 1 in 111 million.

Of course, this OVERSTATES the risk to you, because in the history of the Metro Rail system (which opened in 1974), they've only killed a total of 12 passengers in rail accidents (including the most recent 9). I tried (but failed) to get ridership information over the history of Metro to get you a historical average likelihood of being killed; but even with a very conservative guess of ridership since the system opened, your odds of being killed on any one ride are at (at or likely less likely than) 1 in 300 million.

For comparison, here are your odds of some other things. Odds of:

Being killed in a car accident: 1 in 5,000

Being hit by lightning: 1 in 576,000

Being killed in a commercial plane crash: 1 in 11 million

Catching mad cow disease: 1 in 40 million

Hitting the powerball jackpot: 1 in 195,249,054

Being killed by a shark: 1 in 300 million

So, if you come to Washington, your chances of being killed on the flight in are 27 times greater than your odds of being killed on Metro, and your chances of being killed in the taxi on your way to the hotel are 60 THOUSAND times greater than being killed on Metro Rail. Avoid the beef when you go to dinner, as your odds of catching mad cow are 7.5 times greater than a fatal Metro accident. Don't walk outside if it's cloudy, either, as your odds of getting nailed by lighting are 520 times greater. All that said, if you survive the flight, and the cab ride, and the dinner, and the walk around the Mall on a typical thunderstorm-prone summer day, buy a powerball ticket -- you've got almost twice the chance of winning the jackpot than you do of being killed on the Metro.

Next time you go to the beach, though, stay out of the water -- your odds of being killed by a fatal shark attack are just about the same as your odds of dying on our tremendous and safe subway system.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Alexandria to DC Mall w/o Metro?

The OP posted the same question in the Virginia forum.

The issue wasn't safety, but claustrophobia and not wanting to be in a tunnel underground.

10. Re: Alexandria to DC Mall w/o Metro?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 December 2009, 05:16