We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

review 4 city-sightseeing + firework show+ gettin back 2 BWI

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
9 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
review 4 city-sightseeing + firework show+ gettin back 2 BWI

Hi,

I have 3 questions, will appreciate help with any or all of them-

1. Has anyone taken a hop on-hop off bus tour with city-sightseeing (link below) in DC?

we are planning to take one around 2nd-5th july.

apparently its the only one that gives a free night tour when you buy the day tour !

any feedback or criticism is welcome :)

www.city-sightseeing.com/index.phtml…

2. What is the best place to watch the 4th july firework show in DC? what time does this location open? when should we reach this location in order to grab a spot with a nice view? What time does the show begin and end?

3. We are staying in Baltimore(Pikesville). On 4th for the firework show, should we travel by our car from Baltimore to DC and back? If YES, where do we park? and if NO, then what is the best way to get back to Baltimore after the firework show?

Thankyou !

Nonpartisan Pedicab
City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Night Tours, Private Tours
Monuments by Moonlight Night Tour
City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Night Tours
Old Town Trolley Tours of Washington DC
City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Hop-On Hop-Off Tours, Night Tours
DC Pedicab
Taxis & Shuttles, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Night Tours, Private Tours
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,283 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: review 4 city-sightseeing + firework show+ gettin back 2 BWI

2. On the lawn West of the Washington Monument facing the Lincoln Memorial. It will be open all day, unless there is a thunder storm. In the old days, before all the security, I would arrive about 8:45 and there was always somewhere 2 people could sit down. Now, I don't know because I don't go into the security zone. The fireworks start about 9:15 and last 20-30 minutes.

USA
Level Contributor
35 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: review 4 city-sightseeing + firework show+ gettin back 2 BWI

I will be in DC with my wife 3rd to 6th. I think I'm going to take this hop on hop off bus tour. We did this same company in Italy (Rome & Florence) last July and it was awesome. We couldn't stop raving about it. Just because we were able to see so much in a little amount of time and it gave us a great overview of the city. Where did you see that you get a free night tour? I didn't see that on the website. Is it a special promotion? Thanks and good luck.

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
9 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: review 4 city-sightseeing + firework show+ gettin back 2 BWI

darrell6t and lakeshow1 thanks a lot for both ur replies.

can someone also please answer my 3rd question :)

3. We are staying in Baltimore(Pikesville). On 4th for the firework show, should we travel by our car from Baltimore to DC and back? If YES, where do we park? and if NO, then what is the best way to get back to Baltimore after the firework show?

for lakeshow1-----well the free night tour is mentioned on the website. just go to www.city-sightseeing.com, click on our sight seeing tours, then click on washington dc under rest of the world, its rite there in bold..i'm pasting the paragraph for you here again-

Valid Full Day and 48 hour Tour tickets allow you access to the Twilight night tour for no extra cost. (Single purchased Night tour ticket NOT valid on next day, Day tours)

PLEASE NOTE: This tour will not operate at all on July 4th

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
53,608 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: review 4 city-sightseeing + firework show+ gettin back 2 BWI

Driving in Washington for the fireworks will be "ugly". I have no idea where you would park, as the usual places most people recommend like Union Station will likely be filled up early.

Metro is always an option. The downside is when the fireworks are over all 300,000 people descend on Metro at the same time, making for huge crowds and long waits.

Have you considered coming into DC for the night of the 4th and staying in a hotel?

Washington, Virginia
Level Contributor
259 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: review 4 city-sightseeing + firework show+ gettin back 2 BWI

Irishfan is right, it will be ugly. I think Baltimore

has a firework show that you may enjoy ~ probably more without all the travel. Pikesville is - on a good day about an hour outside of DC...just getting out of DC the night of the 4th will take at least a hour. I don't know of any easy way to get into and out of DC from Pikesville on a major event day.

Washington, Virginia
Level Contributor
259 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: review 4 city-sightseeing + firework show+ gettin back 2 BWI

Found this that may help:

www.promotionandarts.com/index.cfm…

USA
Level Contributor
35 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: review 4 city-sightseeing + firework show+ gettin back 2 BWI

travelbug....thanks for the info again. I emailed them and asked this question and maybe you know. I was going to get the 48 hour pass on Friday the 3rd for the 1st 24 hour period. Since they don't run on the 4th, would Sunday the 5th be my 2nd 24 hours of the 48 allowed. I didn't want to get it on Friday if Saturday was part of the time allotment even though they're not running on the 4th. Thanks in advance if you know.

USA
Level Contributor
35 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: review 4 city-sightseeing + firework show+ gettin back 2 BWI

Here is the email i received from the company regarding my question to you earlier....

Thank you for your email regarding the City Sightseeing tour of Washington.

Normally tickets must be used on consecutive days, but I can confirm that should you wish to purchase the 48 hour tickets for the July 3rd, and as the tour is not running on the July 4th, you may use the facility on July 5th. If you decide to purchase the tickets on-line, you will receive an e-voucher, which you print off, take it with you and exchange for tickets on the required day of travel. The e-voucher tickets are valid for up to 3 months from date of travel. You may also pay the driver at any of the stops.

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
9 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: review 4 city-sightseeing + firework show+ gettin back 2 BWI

thank you irishfan and aatatusko.

lakeshow1, thank you so much for all the info about the tour. hope you have a great time on the tour, after readin ur post we've decided to take the 48 hour (3rd & 5th) too !

10. Re: review 4 city-sightseeing + firework show+ gettin back 2 BWI

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 December 2009, 05:17