We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

transport from alexandria va to BWI

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
tn
5 posts
Save Topic
transport from alexandria va to BWI

i have went to the transit website from BWI site and it says itll take 3 hours to travel using public transport. Is this true? or do I need to retry it? Our large family is staying in alexandria as a base with some driving in and some coming from or going to BWI. All around the 4th weekend.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19,729 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: transport from alexandria va to BWI

How many people need to go from Alexandria to BWI? Are children involved? The answer to those questions can influence the decision. But I am sure the trip using Metro, bus and/or train can take 3 hours. It is not direct and requires several changes. Not something I would try dragging luggage and children.

If you are a fairly big group, and can about fill a SuperShuttle van, that could well be the best combination of price and convenience. Make sure to give yourselves plenty of time since they are not always on time.

Washington, Virginia
Level Contributor
259 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: transport from alexandria va to BWI

You might want to check renting a car, it's probably cheaper than the shuttle and you may want to keep it for the duration of your trip depending on where you are staying in Alexandria.

tn
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: transport from alexandria va to BWI

all our children and their attachments are age 15 to 25. we have single individuals coming from BWI (different times)and then a small group of 3 leaving VA to BWI. we picked late flights to avoid traffic so im wondering if a cab or smart shuttle is the best overall option. we don't want to rent a car because some of us are driving in so we will have a car for most day trips.There will be a trickle to and from the airport in baltimore, and those that are already here don't want to spend all there vacation time picking up people from BWI. just trying to figure out the best option. also the car will leave sun so the small group leaving on a late flight Tues noc will not have the car option. We are sort of using a house in alexandria as a base and All our children who live and go to school in different areas will come in and out for different parts of the week. thats why its confusing.thanks for any tips.

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
43 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: transport from alexandria va to BWI

Here is a link to the commuter page that talks about the three airports and how to get between them:

commuterpage.com/metroconnect.htm#Airports

A good bet may be to connect from BWI to DCA which is already in Arlington, VA close to Alexandria. And, then get from DCA to the house. You can do that by BUS, RAIL, or a combination of BUS/RAIL, METRO/RAIL, etc.

To give you an example, the time-distance between BWI and DCA is about 1:15 in normal traffic (I know some people can make it in 45 minutes). Depending on where the house is in Alexandria, you can add or subtract time for traffic -- it will be horrible around the 4th of July -- we will be leaving town.

Of course, you can rent a couple of cars given all of the people that will be shuttling around. You may want a car around in any event as Virginia is not the easiest place to travel by public transport. And, given the amount of people you're talking about it may come in handy.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19,729 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: transport from alexandria va to BWI

Plenty of people do manage to use public transport from BWI into DC. Going to Alexandria just adds a little extra step or two to the process. It is a lot cheaper than a taxi, but more of a hassle. And certainly takes more time. A taxi can just take the Beltway and I-95 and get there easily, except for the sometimes horrible traffic. But it costs a lot more for the convenience.

6. Re: transport from alexandria va to BWI

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 December 2009, 06:18