We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do with teens and places to eat in Bethesda

Kansas City
Level Contributor
101 posts
Save Topic
Things to do with teens and places to eat in Bethesda

My 17 y/o daughter, 13 y/o son and I will be at the NIH the last week of July. We are staying at the Children's Inn at the NIH and will not have a car. We have medical appointments scheduled from 8am until 4 pm everyday. I think we will need some distractions from the medical environment in the evenings. Can anyone suggest things to do and places to eat that are a short metro ride away? They need to be within a short walking distance of a metro top (2-3 blocks is probably max the daughter will be able to handle comfotably). Thanks for you help!

Washington, Virginia
Level Contributor
259 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do with teens and places to eat in Bethesda

You might want to consider renting a car. White Flint mall would be a place the kids might enjoy, there is a Dave and Busters there (http://www.daveandbusters.com/)

as well as shopping and restaurants. There is another mall close by, Westfields Montgomery Mall, both would be easy to drive to but I think the subway is further than a couple of blocks. There is alot of great things in Bethesda, you may want to take them to a movie one night and a car would be needed for that. I checked hotwire

cars are listed the last week in July starting at $35 (that's rented from Regan National airport, you can probably find a better rate online depending on where you are flying into. Hope all goes well for you all, especially your daughter. She will be in very capable hands at NIH.

Gaithersburg MD USA
Level Contributor
4 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do with teens and places to eat in Bethesda

The 2-3 block max walk is limiting with no car. Assuming the Children's Inn can provide a wheel chair for your use, the options expand significantly.

If you are interested in going out to the movies from the Medical Center Metro Station go north towards Shady Grove to the Rockville Station. You will be about 2 blocks from Regal Cinema Rockville Center Lots of dining choices in this area by the theater and in Rockville Town Square next door.

rockvilletownsquare.com/shopping/dining.php

At the Rockville Metro Station look for the elevated walkway that will take you across Hungerford Drive to the Courthouse area on the West side of the station to get to the theater and restaurant district.

Going one Metro stop south to the Bethesda Station will put you close to many restaurants in downtown Bethesda. Not aware of any teen specific places there.

If you have use of the wheelchair and can get going earlier in the afternoon, perhaps the National Zoo would be of interest. Take the Metro towards DC and get off at the Cleveland Park Station for an easy walk to the Zoo Entrance. The ZOO is open until 6 PM

…si.edu/Visit/GettingToZoo/metro.cfm (Do not go to the Woodley Park Zoo Metro Stop as it is an uphill walk to the Zoo.) This would only work if you have the use of a wheelchair. Lots of walking.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
138 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do with teens and places to eat in Bethesda

There are plenty of restaurants in the Bethesda area near the Bethesda Metro stop which is one stop away from Medical center. But the Children's Inn is not that close to the metro stop. That said I live in the area and have seen a Children's Inn van at a local supermarket so it is possible that they may supply transit for families -- you may want to check with them to see what transportation they can offer/suggest that would make travel easier.

Pembroke Pines...
Level Contributor
78 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to do with teens and places to eat in Bethesda

My husband and I have been visiting NIH twice already. I stayed at the Safra Lodge which is close to the Children's Inn. You could easily take the Children's Inn shuttle to Building 10 and take the campus shuttle to the entrance which is as close as you'll get to the Medical Center Metro stop.

There are several food options off of the Bethesda stop. Also, I know at Safra lodge I had access to the kitchen, I'd assume its the same at Children's Inn. If so there is a Safeway close to the Bethesda stop, its not that far of a walk. Best of luck!

5. Re: Things to do with teens and places to eat in Bethesda

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 December 2009, 07:42