We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help - need hotel for Saturday - where to stay??

St Petersburg, FL
Level Contributor
94 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
help - need hotel for Saturday - where to stay??

Had researched the Holiday Inn Capital and planned on using my points but got on the website today once we finally decided we were going this Saturday and now I can't use my points. So I need to find out the best (and most inexpensive) option. NEVER been to DC before and we will only have one day. Plan on spending it at the Natural History Museum and at least get to glance a t a few monuments. ANY help (and detailed!) would be EXTREMELY appreciated. So afraid I am going to deeply disappoint my 8 year old son!

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
2,994 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: help - need hotel for Saturday - where to stay??

Questions for you:

1. What's your budget? A quick search on Kayak reveals at least a dozen acceptable to very good hotels in either D.C. or Arlington for $110 a night or less.

2. What is the "best option" for you? Closest to the Mall? Nicest room for the money? Best hotel amenities?

3. How / when are you arriving into town? If you are flying in, which airport you arrive at can make a difference about what hotel will be easiest. If you are driving, the cost of parking can add as much as $40 to your room.

Budget is key. If you can afford $100 for the night, you should be in great shape. If you can't, it will depend on how much you can afford.

Lawton, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
117 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: help - need hotel for Saturday - where to stay??

You might check on the Holiday Inn Rosslyn Key Bridge

to see if they would take your points? Close to the Metro and take it to Smithsonian Stop, which is close to Natural History Museum. If not, I would try and find a Hotel as close to the Mall as possible, because of the limited time you have.

St Petersburg, FL
Level Contributor
94 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: help - need hotel for Saturday - where to stay??

Thanks for the help!

Probably my budget is as close to $100 as I can get it but we are driving in so parking rates are definitely an issue.

We really wanted to be close to the Mall just because that was basically the whole reason we were coming. But if it really cut down on cost - willing to even stay outside the city and either drive in or take the Metro (as long as someone can explain to me how to get to where I need to go!). I'm not sure that gives enough info but I will check kayak in the meantime.

Thanks again!

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
2,994 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: help - need hotel for Saturday - where to stay??

Looks like you can find a few different hotels in Arlington for $100 a night, including free parking. All are super easy and fast (20 minutes or less) trips from the Smithsonian via Metro. Some notable choices (from least to most expensive) from my quick search for you (you'll want to verify they do in fact have free parking and read up on what they have to offer here on Trip Advisor; I didn't check the hotel websites to confirm but most of these should):

Radisson Hotel Reagan National Airport (2 blocks from Crystal City Metro) -- About $99 incl. tax

Crowne Plaza Reagan National Airport (1 block from Crystal City Metro) -- About $100 incl. tax

Holiday Rosslyn Key Bridge (2 blocks from Rosslyn Metro) -- About $100 incl. tax

Hyatt Arlington (Rosslyn -- across street from Metro) -- About $110 incl. tax (parking free on weekends)

Westin Arlington Gateway (2.5 blocks from Ballston Metro) -- NOTE: room is $95 + tax, and parking is an extra fee (I'd call), but this hotel is the nicest of the group (they have an indoor heated pool, for example). The downside is it is a bit further out on the Metro in Arlington -- about 20 minutes to the Smithsonian Station.

As for taking the Metro, I promise it really isn't that hard -- there are lots of posts on this site about how to get around using it. From any of the Arlington stations, you can ride directly (no change of trains needed) to the Smithsonian station, which is line of site from the Natural History Museum, Capitol, and Washington Monument.

If I had to pick one of the hotels above, I'd probably go with the Holiday Inn Key Bridge or the Westin (if it was in my budget) given the comparative features to location they offer.

Sebewaing, Michigan
Level Contributor
382 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: help - need hotel for Saturday - where to stay??

If you're not set on a specific hotel, there are some deals on Hotwire in Arlington and Crystal City. Betterbidding.com can help you determine which hotels you might be looking at. I usually go with a 3*, and I've never been disappointed. The only hotel I've stayed at in the DC area is the Hampton Inn in Arlington, but it was really luxurious for a Hampton. Hope you have a wonderful time!!

6. Re: help - need hotel for Saturday - where to stay??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 January 2010, 06:19