We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Hire Advice - Best for Pick up in DC - drop off in NYC?

Taunton
Level Contributor
253 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Car Hire Advice - Best for Pick up in DC - drop off in NYC?

Hello

We wish to pick up a car in Washington and drop off in Manhatton.

Any advice on the best companies for this please?

Regards

Phil

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Hire Advice - Best for Pick up in DC - drop off in NYC?

I don't know much about the differences in rates by company--I usually just check kayak.com or hotwire.com and go with the least expensive. Good luck.

Also, unless you're making stops along the way as part of your trip, you may want to try the bus, train, or plane. The road trip to NYC can be pretty rough--one of the most congested areas in the US.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
768 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Hire Advice - Best for Pick up in DC - drop off in NYC?

I would seriously consider taking the train. Some of the best public transportation in the country is in this area. You have no use for a car in either DC or NYC.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,410 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Hire Advice - Best for Pick up in DC - drop off in NYC?

If your only point is to get from DC to NYC, don't even consider driving. A lot of tolls, a lot of traffic and no scenery. Far better to leave the driving to someone else. Train is the best. Bus is the cheapest. Flights involve all that security and the trip from the airport into the city.

Taunton
Level Contributor
253 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Hire Advice - Best for Pick up in DC - drop off in NYC?

Thanks very much for your advice.

We are visiting Washington then driving up to the Hershey area for three days before then driving to NYC.

If we were travelling directly from DC to NYC I would probably take the train.

I have seen on here that Hertz have low one way rental prices and have booked accordingly.

5. Re: Car Hire Advice - Best for Pick up in DC - drop off in NYC?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 January 2010, 07:26