We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best area to look for a hotel

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
399 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Best area to look for a hotel

Hi

We are staying in Washington for three days in October to see the usual sights. Can someone please give me the best area to picl a hotel, ie DOwntown, Dupont Circle etc.

We won't have a car and looking for accomodation close to transport and we don't mind lots of walking.

Thanks

Jodi

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,378 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best area to look for a hotel

Best for what? All the areas you will see recommended on the forum have some good points and sometimes a few bad points. My favorite is Dupont Circle, but I am a bit prejudiced.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,216 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best area to look for a hotel

I always recommend Penn Quarter/Convention Center because it's walking distance to the sites and there are lots of dining options for evening. Some places to consider, depending on your budget:

Courtyard by Marriott Convention Center, Hotel Monaco, Hampton Inn, Red Roof Inn, Marriott at Metro Center, Renaissance, Embassy Suites Convention Center. Other places probably considered "downtown" which to me, means closer to the White House, are the Sofitel, W Hotel, Hilton Garden Inn.

See what's available in your price range for your travel dates, then post back for further suggestions. Hope this helps get you started on your search.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
399 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best area to look for a hotel

Thanks for the responses. This gives me a great start and I can do some research.

I went to San Diego in July and a DE suggested the area and was spot on. I wouldn't have even thought about the area suggested but it was perfect.

Jodi

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
137 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best area to look for a hotel

Just to put my 2 cents in - while Penn Quarter is more convenient for walking to the Capitol and museum side of the Mall, I find it a lot less charming (and calm) than Dupont Circle. And Dupont is only a 15 minute walk to the White House/Washington Monument side of the the Mall. And being in Dupont also means you are walking distance from Georgetown, U Street and Adams Morgan, all great for nighttime strolls and restaurants.

5. Re: Best area to look for a hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 February 2010, 06:29