We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Destination DC:Class trip to DC

Texas
Level Contributor
57 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Destination DC:Class trip to DC

I am in charge of the plans for a DC trip for my son's 8th grade class. I have been reading everything I can get my hnads on before making the decision about hotel accomodations. Based on reading the DC forums I have narrowed it down to Crystal City, Dupont Circle and Alexandria. I would appreciate anyone knowlegeable with these three areas to weigh in on which would be best based on the following criteria. Metro availabiliy and ease, safety for students and low to moderate priced eateries in area. of course, if anyone has a recomendation about a particular hotel it would be welcome. We will arrive at Reagan and count on the metro for transportation. Since the students are raising 100% of the travel expenses Ritz Carlton type accomodations are out of the question. Thank you in advance for your assistance.

washington, dc
Level Contributor
663 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Destination DC:Class trip to DC

Crystal City may be your best bet. I say this for a few reasons:

-It's on the blue/yellow line - this will allow you to get to either the Smithsonian stop or the L'Enfant Plaza stop (very close to Air & Space) without switching metro lines. You can also get there from National airport without changing lines as well.

-It's somewhat more "institutionalized," which makes it easier to manage a group of 8th graders in my mind. While Dupont is by no means dangerous, if I was trying to corral a group of 13 year olds, I'd rather do it in Crystal City. Less small streets to get lost down, etc. It's hard to explain this precisely, but I think others who know the areas would probably agree.

-Crystal City will probably give you more options for places to eat that would accommodate a large group, and may be inexpensive enough and suited to the tastes of kids that age.

Alexandria may fit the bill for some of these options, but it's a bit further away on metro, and the hotels are most likely not quite as easily accessible.

Dupont, the location I'd recommend to a non-group setting, may just be a bit too hectic for an 8th grade group. Plus, as your focus will likely be on the mall/the monuments/the White House, the red line is just less likely to go where you're interested. Switching lines with lots of people can get kind of hairy at times, so the less you do it, the less stress you'll face.

Hopefully that helps - as for specific hotels, I'd point you toward numerous other threads here...and/or tripadvisor's hotel reviews.

2. Re: Destination DC:Class trip to DC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 February 2010, 05:17