We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train service to Virginia

Sunrise, FL
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
118 reviews
Save Topic
Train service to Virginia

I will be in Virginia for a wedding (Sept 11th weekend) and I would like to take train from Virginia to DC on a Sunday. (I know this question might be slight more appropriate for a Virginia forum, but no one really responds there.)

I would appreciate any and all assistance, even other recommendations if any.

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Train service to Virginia

Virginia is a very large state, as I am sure you know. I would go to Amtrak.com and look at their stations list by state (VA). Since you say "train service" I am assuming you will not be in the Metropolitan DC are and are referring to a train such as Amtrak.

Sunrise, FL
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train service to Virginia

I am open to suggestions and I only said train cause its the first thing that comes to mind. I am from Florida, so mass transit really doesnt exist down here.

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Train service to Virginia

Virginia is a large state. Nobody can answer your question unless you say where in VA you will be.

Sunrise, FL
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train service to Virginia

Opps... sorry that would be helpful, wouldnt it?

Lynchburg to DC on a Sunday (preferrably afternoon).

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Train service to Virginia

According to Amtrak, there is only one train on Sunday from Lynchburg, VA to Washington, DC Union Station. It is at 6:00 a.m. and takes 4 hours, which I guess means it stops somewhere because it could take less than that to drive to DC according to Mapquest.

www.amtrak.com

Sunrise, FL
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train service to Virginia

Any other recommendations for transportation?

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Train service to Virginia

I doubt there are any other options. I guess you won't have a car. Try Greyhound and Peter Pan.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train service to Virginia

Greyhound is probably your best best as far as public transit goes. I would also consider renting a car in Lynchburg and driving to DC, with a possible stop in Charlottesville.

9. Re: Train service to Virginia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 February 2010, 07:17