We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day in DC

Level Contributor
220 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
One day in DC

We're driving up from Virginia to spend a day in DC this Friday (Sept 18th). We were planning on parking somewhere and doing it on foot. We want to see the popular highlights...The Capital, Holocaust Museum, Washington Monument, WWII Memorial, Washington National Cathedral, Lincoln Memorial, and anything else we have time for.

Is it better to park the car and take the Metro? Is there a reasonably priced place to park the car? Is there a parking garage located near one of these attractions, so we know how to plan out our day?

Also, what good restaurants are in this area (nothing highfalutin or fancy, just something maybe ecclectic or unusual enough to write home about. Oh yeah, food must be edible.

We would do the walking tour, but it's only available at 7pm that day, and we want to head home by 6pm.

We're also considering the bike and roll. Is that a good way to get around?

DC Insider Tours
Ghost & Vampire Tours, Private Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours, Bike Tours
Museum Hack DC
Cultural Tours, Walking Tours
DC by Foot
Food Tours, Private Tours, Bus Tours, Bike Tours, Walking Tours
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
57,671 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One day in DC

I think the first thing you need to do is figure out where things are. Between the Capitol Building and the Lincoln Memorial it's around 2 miles. Between the Lincoln Memorial and the National Cathedral it's another 2-3 miles between the two. So when you ask about restaurants "in this area" you've kind of covered half the city. :)

I think by the time you visit the Holocaust Museum,(which takes most visitors about 2 hours) and the Lincoln and WWII Memorials and Washington Monument, that's going to be a big chunk of your day gone.

Take a look at this map and see if it helps put things in perspective:

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,482 posts
256 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One day in DC

Also, I think it is worth noting that the National Cathedral is not on the Metro. There are Metro buses that run to it, but it is the one place on your list that I would consider driving to. It might be worth doing it first, and then finding a place to park and use the Metro for the rest of your visits.

Level Contributor
220 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One day in DC

Ok, thanks! I'll have to take a better look at the map and rethink this...

4. Re: One day in DC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 March 2010, 07:21