We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tour of the white house, how to apply from England?

ENGLAND
Level Contributor
155 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Tour of the white house, how to apply from England?

Hello

Im going to Washington in Dec and would love to do a tour of the white house.

I believe this has to be booked a good few months in advance however it is a last minute holiday so hoping to get a cancellation on a tour.

Ive done a search and read through other threads about the tour and have been on several websites trying to find out about booking a tour however slightly confused.

For british citizens,what is the website i need to go on to apply to do tour? or is there a number i can ring?

thank you.

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tour of the white house, how to apply from England?

From what I've read on this site, there are a couple of options, although neither will guarantee that you get a tour. (That's not because you're British - even US citizens are not guaranteed to get a tour!)

1. Contact the British Embassy in DC

2. Contact the office of DC Delegate Eleanor Holmes Norton

Whatever you do, do it ASAP since it's already almost October!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
400 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tour of the white house, how to apply from England?

Hi

I hope you have better luck than poor Aussies. I was instructed to contact our embassy in Washington, which I did only to be told that the government does not want to fund a facility for Australians to book tours in the White House. How much would that cost for goodness sake! So in October we will be visiting the visitors centre and admiring the White House from afar.

Jodi

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
42 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tour of the white house, how to apply from England?

I'm going to DC in November, and contacted the British Embassy to book my White House tour. Here's the website I used:

…fco.gov.uk/en/…wh-tours

There's a couple of forms on there you need to fill in, and then email them to the address on the site. I had a courtesy reply within 24 hours - I'm travelling alone, so they said they will be in touch if they can add me to any of their arranged group tours on the dates I requested. I hope they can!

Mentioned in this post
White House
White House
7,012 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Hove
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Tour of the white house, how to apply from England?

The UK Embassy was a waste of time, but the DC congresswoman was excellent, and very helful.

ENGLAND
Level Contributor
155 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tour of the white house, how to apply from England?

Thanks for all your responces.

chris0180 thanks for the link, I filled out the forms last night and emailed. Ive had a responce already saying they will contact me nearer the time.

Does anyone know how much it costs?

Theres hardly any information on it....

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
21,048 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tour of the white house, how to apply from England?

White House tours, like many things in DC, are free. All of the Smithsonian museums in DC are free too.

Mentioned in this post
White House
White House
7,012 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
ENGLAND
Level Contributor
155 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tour of the white house, how to apply from England?

Oh really, I thought you would have to pay. Thats great!! Thanks.

Cardiff
Level Contributor
316 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tour of the white house, how to apply from England?

Thanks so much for this thread, just applied using the links here and got a reply saying we were in a file awaiting others for our selected dates. It also depends on whether the White House is open for visitors between Christmas and New Year!

Thanks again.

ENGLAND
Level Contributor
155 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tour of the white house, how to apply from England?

Has anyone heared back about a tour?

I'm going in just under 4 weeks and nothing yet, just wondering if its worth emailing in a couple of weeks to ask.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
42 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tour of the white house, how to apply from England?

I had another email from the British Embassy on October 13th to say my name has been added to a tour request for late November. This doesn't mean I have definitely got a tour, just that if a tour is approved for that specific date then I will be on it, so I shouldn't make any other plans for that morning just in case.

They said they will usually let people know if they've been approved 7-10 days before the tour date, but sometimes it can be as late as just 2 or 3 days before, so I'll just keep checking my emails and hope for the best!