We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shops at Dulles after immigration and baggage claim

Kirkcaldy
Level Contributor
618 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Shops at Dulles after immigration and baggage claim

We arrive at Dulles at about 8pm and I want to buy a few basic supplies (craving what we can't get in UK, vanilla coke and Lays ) before we get taxi into hotel. I know there are plenty of shops before getting on a flight but can't remember about arriving. We are staying at Holiday Inn Capitol and I have read the shops nearby close early so don't want to wait until there.

yfunk3
Level Contributor
470 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shops at Dulles after immigration and baggage claim

I think it's the same shops. You pretty much arrive at the same gate-area that you would leave from?

Does the Holiday Inn you're staying at have a shuttle that will drive you to a nearby supermarket or drugstore? Or even a drugstore (CVS, Rite-Aid, Walgreens) nearby where you could pick these items up after dinner?

yfunk3
Level Contributor
470 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shops at Dulles after immigration and baggage claim

Nevermind. I was thinking directly after you get off the plane, not after immigration. I usually try to fly out of Reagan, so I was a bit disoriented for a bit! Sorry!

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
53,560 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shops at Dulles after immigration and baggage claim

I can't think of much of anything on the landside at IAD except for a tiny little newstand by baggage claim. Maybe you could ask your taxi driver to make a stop along the way. Or wait until the next morning?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shops at Dulles after immigration and baggage claim

When you come off an International flight at Dulles, you are herded to Immigration and then Customs. Once you are "turned loose", you are in the bottom level of the main building. There are a few news shops there where you can get drinks an chips, but as for the majority of the shopping, no-that for the most part, out in the mid-field terminals.

Va
Level Contributor
11,043 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shops at Dulles after immigration and baggage claim

Just have your driver stop at the exxon at the airport on your way out. It is a snack lovers paradise. Your driver will know exactly where it is because they are always there getting coffee.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
2,957 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shops at Dulles after immigration and baggage claim

Alternatively, ask your driver to exit I-66 at Exit 72 -- Lee Highway / Spout Run. Directly opposite the bottom of the ramp from I-66 is a small shopping center with a Giant Foods grocery store. It should have everything your heart desires, and is open until at least 10 PM. Just ask your driver to wait and promise to tip him a bit extra for the wait time. From the grocery store, it is easy to get onto Spout Run Parkway and head back into the city. Aside from however long you spend in the store, the diversion should add no more than 5 to 6 minutes to your travel time in from the airport.

Kirkcaldy
Level Contributor
618 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shops at Dulles after immigration and baggage claim

Thank you all for your replies. The CVS in C street shuts at 7pm so it is good to know I can get my cravings as well as some more sensible snacks and drinks.

washington, dc
Level Contributor
663 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shops at Dulles after immigration and baggage claim

The newsstands on the land side where you will exit have the basics - some snacks, drinks, etc. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure there's no vanilla coke there (was just there yesterday), but I could be wrong.

It is true that the area around your hotel doesn't have a ton of options that are open in the evening - though you can get to the CVS nearly next door to the hotel the next morning at 7am on a weekday (500 C Street South).

If you ask the cab driver to stop for snacks before you head into DC, you'd likely be going to a minimart at a gas station in Chantilly. It's probably about 10-15 minutes out of the way.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
53,560 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shops at Dulles after immigration and baggage claim

No, there is an Exxon with a large convenience store right at the airport, or perhaps "right at" is overstating it. But in any event, it's easily reached from the terminal. "sunngod" mentioned it the other day in a post.

Just do a google maps for Dulles Airport and 'search nearby' for Exxon you'll see it.

washington, dc
Level Contributor
663 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shops at Dulles after immigration and baggage claim

Good call, IrishFan - I totally forgot. It's right near the exit of the long term parking lot / rental car area. I think it's worth specifying to the cab driver that it's where you want to go...and I'm pretty sure they have the junk food smorgasboard you're seeking.