We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

White House Tour Confirmation - or Not

Norton...
Level Contributor
78 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
White House Tour Confirmation - or Not

I requested tickets for the White House Tour at the start of September, and was told we would know at the start of October if we were approved. Question is - I havn't heard anything as of yet, and our visit is in two weeks. Do they notify you if you don't get them and only when you do? Could they still let me know at this late date (or even later)? What is anyone else's experience? I still want to hold out hope, but that hope is fading.....

Thanks Much, Dara

UK
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: White House Tour Confirmation - or Not

Hi,

I have just received confirmation for a white house tour for next week but was informed at the time of booking that you could get 48h notice.

Regards

Rob

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
841 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: White House Tour Confirmation - or Not

I am in the same situation. I was told that if you haven't heard by one week prior to the requested date(s) then it's not going to happen. I made my request four months ago too! : 0 (

If I don't hear in the affirmative by the 16th, it's not happening, I was told...

knr
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,225 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: White House Tour Confirmation - or Not

I would call your Congressperson just to check on the status. It can't hurt anything to make that call, but it'll make you happy if you actually get the tour!

Good luck!

Chattanooga TN
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: White House Tour Confirmation - or Not

We are coming to DC next week and we heard from our congressmans office last week that we DID NOT get a tour. I guess it depends on your congressman how they handle this. I was at least happy that they let me know either way.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
42 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: White House Tour Confirmation - or Not

About an hour ago I received an email confirming a White House tour in mid-November - I requested the tour about 6 weeks ago, but wasn't expecting to get a confirmation (or refusal) for at least a few more weeks yet!

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
42 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: White House Tour Confirmation - or Not

It looks like I jumped the gun slightly - I thanked the lady at the British Embassy for arranging everything so far in advance, and she replied to say that nothing was confirmed yet. In fact, she has only submitted a tour request to whoever is in charge of the White House tours, and the email was to say that I have been included in the group of people whose names she has forwarded for the booking. Or something.

And just like everybody else has said, we will find out whether we've been accepted or not 7-10 days before the date of the tour.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
994 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: White House Tour Confirmation - or Not

I put in my request in early june for a tour the week of Oct 5-9 and didn't receive my confirmation until Oct 1. If you are getting one in that short period of time consider yourself lucky. By the way, if you were expecting a self-guided 20 min tour, it has changed and now it is a guided tour led by a secret service agent and takes nearly an hour.

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
841 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: White House Tour Confirmation - or Not

Well, my representative's office called today and said we didn't get in. At least she called and on the exact day she said would be the deadline... I thought that with this much notice and for this time of year, we would get in! So, the lesson is, the sooner you can request the better!

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
438 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: White House Tour Confirmation - or Not

I made the request only about 6 weeks prior to our trip so I didn't have high hopes. However, 2 days before we left, I got a call saying that we got in because 2 other people from our state had cancelled for the following week. We had to get there practically before sunrise but it was worth it!! Don't lose hope!

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
768 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: White House Tour Confirmation - or Not

We received confirmation from our senator's office that we would be able to go 2 wks to the day prior to our tour, which was on Thur Oct 8th at 9:30am. Be forewarned that we stood in a line of about 200 people for 15-20 min before going into security and then another 3 different holding areas before ever getting to go up, total of about 60-90 min wait from the reserved ticket time. There was also the additional time and hassle of leaving our bag at Union Station. It was well worth the effort, as we got to see Michelle Obama and the dog play on the lawn for a long time and we were not rushed out. We thought it would take up and hour or two of the morning, but turned into a half-day project by the time we retrived our bags.