We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping

Cape Town
8 posts
Save Topic
Shopping

Hello experts!

Being from South Africa we are always looking for great shooping deals on sporting goods, electronics and gadgets! I have been to outlet malls in LA and found them to be great value! Do you have outlet malls in DC? and could you recommend the best one. (we are staying at the Wardman Park Marriott)

P.S. Have stayed at Marriott hotels before, is this particular one okay?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,471 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping

You will love the Wardman Park. It is a great hotel that is well kept (used for my conferences) and is visited often by Bill Marriott and the Senior executive team from their headquarters in Bethesda, Maryland (a couple of miles away).

As for outlet shopping, unless I am wrong, the closest outlets will be at Potomac Mills. This is a large outlet mall located on I-95 about 45 or 60 minutes south of Washington. I'm not sure if there is any public transportation down that way or not. Hopefully someone else on here who knows Virginia better than I can help you.

Have a great trip.

dctravel

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
55,553 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping

Nothing particularly close to Washington,DC. You'd need a rental car, really.

Arundel Mills in suburban Maryland is a bit closer than Potomac Mills but still a 40 minute drive from your hotel.

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,152 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping

There is also an outlet mall in Leesburg, VA--again, you would need a rental car to get to it. However, if you are going to rent a car, I would recommend Potomac Mills--it's really huge. Plus, it is surrounded by many strip malls, so you would find plenty of shopping. If you do decide to go there, it would be best to go during the week, instead of the weekend. On the weekends, the place is packed and parking can be scarce.

Cape Town
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Shopping

Thank you sooooo much, great advice. We will do the rental car thing and try as much as possible to drive on the right hand side of the road.....looking forward to seeing your city!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
90 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shopping

I also second the thoughts of liking the Wardman Park. Historic Hotel, and right outside is a metro station, and walking distance to some very nice neighborhoods and good places to eat. It's in a very safe area, and near the National Zoo (which is free).

There is also great shopping in Georgetown.

As for outlet shopping, I recommend Potomac Mills, it is closer to DC, and has a MUCH better selection than Arundel Mills.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
55,553 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shopping

Potomac Mills - 28 miles from Washington.

Arundel Mills - 27 miles from Washington.

Not really that much of a difference...

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
52 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shopping

You could try the shops at Pentagon City. They are about a 5-10min metro ride from central DC - just catch the blue metro line to the Pentagon City stop. We got some great deals at the Marshalls, Best Buy and Costco stores there.