We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

White House tour for non US citizens

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,291 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
White House tour for non US citizens

As a teacher I would love to do a tour of the White House but of course being Australian means I do not have a congressman to contact. Are there any provisions for international visitors? I will be there early January.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,225 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: White House tour for non US citizens

You will need to contact the Australian Embassy. If they don't offer tours for groups, try to latch onto a British group. The British Embassy doesn't care what nationality you are, as long as you are in a group with at least one Brit who signs the group up.

London, United...
Level Contributor
273 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: White House tour for non US citizens

how do you "latch on to a british embassy group"? Do you mean on the day of the tour, just showing up??

McLean, Virginia
Level Contributor
523 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: White House tour for non US citizens

Contact the Australian Embassy for advice.

Never mind the White House. Go to The Capitol. It's much more interesting than the White House--honest. The White House has a certain cachet because it is so difficult to get into, but the tour is just a walk through and you only see 4 rooms. It takes 20 minutes. The Capitol is a much bigger deal.

And I have no idea how an Australian would "latch onto" a British group unless there is an arrangement with the British and Australian embassies.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: White House tour for non US citizens

Pedro, the Australian Embassy doesn't arrange tours (have a word to kim beazley before he takes the ambassadorship next Feb!) but you could try Congresswoman Eleanor Holmes Norton - we're listed with her office for a tour. It might be a bit late but it doesn't hurt to ask her staff. The website is

www.norton.house.gov/index.php…

McLean, Virginia
Level Contributor
523 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: White House tour for non US citizens

Many Congressmen and Senators do not exert themselves to get WH tours even for their constituents. I used to routinely get the tours for my home exchange families. Then, after the 1990 census, I got pushed back into another Congressional District. That Congressman is very uncooperative.

I have to tell you that I live locally and most of the nearby Congressmen and Senators get a lot of demand. Some of the embassies could do a better job to get their nationals in, but it is just like the Congressmen and Senators. Some are more cooperative than others.

I doubt that DC's Congresswoman would exert herself for foreigners. She has enough difficulty dealing with requests from her constituents because the guests never stop coming.

Again, I think The Capitol is maybe 10 times better than the WH. For that just go on the public tour. Remember not to bring liquids into any of these places or they may be tossed (That means perfume in addition to water, etc.).

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: White House tour for non US citizens

Congresswoman Holmes Norton was recommended to me both on this forum and by other Aussie visitors. Her staff are also very straightforward in advising that there are no guarantees. I don't think visitors to DC should be discouraged from exploring all options available to them. By the way, I thought Australians are 'allies' not 'foreigners'!

7. Re: White House tour for non US citizens

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 22 November 2009, 22:05
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: White House tour for non US citizens

DC Destination Expert mopsydog's suggestion of trying to latching onto a British group is definitely not off-base, but you do need more than 1 month's lead time. Other TripAdvisors not holding British citizenship -- including some US residents -- have ridden a British TA's coattails into the White House. Either by seeing a British TA's recruitment post on the forum (the British Embassy wants to be presented with a list of 10 names) or by initiating a soliciting post of their own. E.g.,

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28970-i40-k177320…

Info & forms from the Embassy's web site here; note that the Embassy does keep a master list of those not pre-formed groups of 10, so there's the possibility that you can help round out one of those. The first form -- White House Tour Request Form (link on upper right-hand corner of web page) -- has the contact info for the woman in charge of such matters:

…fco.gov.uk/en/…wh-tours

And yes, Congresswoman Eleanor Holmes Norton has been known to "deliver" for a non-US resident:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28970-i40-k222998…

Mentioned in this post
The Embassy Inn
The Embassy Inn
280 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
White House
White House
7,022 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,291 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: White House tour for non US citizens

I think I'll just take a photo out the front and keep moving. Thanks for all the advice.

McLean, Virginia
Level Contributor
523 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: White House tour for non US citizens

Which is what most people do Pedro.